• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Profile Evaluation MFE / MFIN

Hi all,

I would really love anyones feedback on my chances at top MFE / MFIM programs in the States.

Education:

Education: Graduating in February 2025 from Go8 University in Australia with a Bachelors in Finance and and Bachelors in Statistics, both with first class honours (not really sure about GPA conversation). Only comment on this is that I did not so well on two math subjects but have very strong results on all other maths subjects.

GRE: 334 (167Q 167V)

Experience:
- IB Summer Analyst at top 3 BB
- Corporate Finance Internship at Boutique IB
- RA in Machine Learning - one published article published privately for a client

Currently targeting
  • Baruch
  • Princeton
  • CMU
  • Columbia
  • MIT
  • NYU

Just would like to some feedback on my application strength and if I stand I chance at these schools.

Thanks in advance :)

@staringfungus, meet @grxthy
First class honour is rougly 3.8-4.0 in the US scale.
You need some serious prep in order to get into those programs but @grxthy has pretty detailed plan. If you are planning for Fall 2026 cycle like he does, then I think this is doable.
Aim for all those programs, and pick one when you get in.
Hi, thanks for the response! I will definitely check out @grxthy's plan. I was actually looking at Fall 2025 admissions otherwise I would have nothing to do for the best part of a year aha.

I would be more confident if you plan for Fall 2026 given the time needed to really prepare for interview from day 1. Remember that Fall 2025 means you should be applying now and for the next few months. Once you start program next Aug, you need to apply for internship on day 1.
This may should like a lot of time but the amount of work needed for the next 12 months is crazy. You don't say if you have a strong programming foundation.
Without knowing your coursework and background, I can't say. If I have to guess, maybe a 50% shot at MIT given that you are Australian.

I would be more confident if you plan for Fall 2026 given the time needed to really prepare for interview from day 1. Remember that Fall 2025 means you should be applying now and for the next few months. Once you start program next Aug, you need to apply for internship on day 1.
This may should like a lot of time but the amount of work needed for the next 12 months is crazy. You don't say if you have a strong programming foundation.
Without knowing your coursework and background, I can't say. If I have to guess, maybe a 50% shot at MIT given that you are Australian.
Hmm, I take your point I guess I will see how much prep I can through in the next 1-2 months and gauge my preparedness on the technical side before applications are due. In terms of my programming I took one course specific to programming in Python and many of my maths subjects we implemented the models in R as part of our coursework, likewise in some econometric subjects I took. Also as a RA all my work was in Python / SQL so I would say I am competent in at least implementing ML models and writing basic algorithms. Id presume id still be at a disadvantage compared to pure CS majors and my theoretical computer definitely needs some work. Just quickly is being Australian an advantage for MIT or disadvantage haha? Thanks again for your input I really appreciate it!

If you want my honest opinion, you need to strengthen your programming skill to get into these top programs. Take the C++ course here or at your local college. One Python course is nowhere near enough.
Many of the internship positions these days will use online assessment coding test to filter out applicants. Lot of quant jobs require strong programming skill to contribute on day 1.
I'll say being Australian is a plus because many programs want to diversify their student body. MIT has a lot of applicants with finance degree so you will not have to compete against more quantitatively superior applicants.
Spend sometime on QuantNet and you will develop a deeper understanding of what unique about each program. The Tracker gives you data on which profiles get admitted into which program.

Back