• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Profile Review

Im considering applying for an MFE in 2025. Im a mechanical engineer and I work in consulting (where ive worked in the more quantitative projects but nothing complex at all… you know how consulting is). However, my undergrad syllabus was extensive in calculus, probability and even some programming skills.
My undergrad GPA was 3.0. What GRE score should I aim for and do you think this will be enough to get into MFEs in Columbia, Cornel, UCLA, UCB or NYU? (International student btw)

Assuming you meet all the pre-reqs, Depends on what your grades were in quantitative courses like Calc I, II, and III, Linear Algebra, Computer Programming, Statistics, Other Math Courses etc. If you have bad/moderate grades in many of those courses you don’t have great odds for many/all of those schools. Even if you have a perfect GRE.

I'd recommend applying to some lower ranked schools as well. While admissions are always variable, applying with a 3.0 GPA in undergrad unfortunately will not end up being competitive at many of these schools given the application pools.

Agree with previous replies. I just finished my MFE application for fall 2024. Most programs do not require GRE scores this year. My understanding is their pre-reqs for math are way more and harder than GRE math and they do not care about your verbal reasoning score. So I'd suggest going over your target programs' website first to make sure if GRE is a must. If not, spend time building math foundation and take online courses to try to fulfill all pre-reqs (especially UCB MFE has a lot!)

Assuming you meet all the pre-reqs, Depends on what your grades were in quantitative courses like Calc I, II, and III, Linear Algebra, Computer Programming, Statistics, Other Math Courses etc. If you have bad/moderate grades in many of those courses you don’t have great odds for many/all of those schools. Even if you have a perfect GRE.
We need better info on your profile to provide any real information.

Based on what we know, and what you said in the other thread you posted on this same topic, I do not think you will get into any of these schools. Even if you got A's in all the maths courses, I don't really see this changing as your grades in the other courses would have to be that much worse.

Last edited:
Back