• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Minor in Applied Mathematics vs Minor in Mathematics

I'm currently majoring in economics and I'm deciding between a minor in math or a minor in applied math. There are the courses I would take in the majors:

Minor in Math

• multi-var calc
  • linear algebra
  • differential equations
  • probability I
  • probability II
  • probability III
Minor in Applied Math - the reason I post the following link is because I don't know if the stuff actually will help or relate to a career in quant

Should I reconsider and do a Math Major and a Minor in Applied Math. Would that even make sense to do? Would doing a Major in Econ and a double minor in math and applied math even make sense?

It seems to me that multi-var calc, linear algebra, and differential equations are all absolute musts in any case. I'm wondering if doing Applied Math and then studying those topics on my own would be viable alternative.

Thanks for any help.

It seems to me that Applied Math has the same courses but with the word "applied" in front. If I were you I would choose the applied track since it should have more applications, not just pure math.

thanks yuriy ~ my concern was and still is that going down the applied math route would mean I wouldn't be taking some of the required courses for msfe

You definitely need to take Multivariable Calculus, but Numerical Linear Algebra is a better preparation than (the regular) Linear Algebra. If you follow the applied track, you might get some exposure to programming in C++ or matlab (or whatever else they might teach), which is excellent. I don't think the pure math track will have any computational component in it. [at least, this is my opinion]

Back