• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin Admission Discussion

over worried (irrationally) about the quant assessment.

Would you think it's comparable to the sample test they have on the program's website?

Last edited:
over worried (irrationally) about the quant assessment.

Would you think it's comparable to the sample test they have on the program's website?
I personally wouldn't consider the sample test to be "elementary calculus", but maybe my definition of elementary calculus is wrong.

I agree with you. It's just a little hard to believe an MIT assessment would be pretty basic. But it seems like it -- hopefully :)
Yeah, I hope so too. I will say though it doesn't seem fair that some people are taking the assessment today, while others have 2-3 more weeks to prepare. Therefore, maybe the questions on the later tests will be harder, but that's just a guess.

Yeah, I hope so too. I will say though it doesn't seem fair that some people are taking the assessment today, while others have 2-3 more weeks to prepare. Therefore, maybe the questions on the later tests will be harder, but that's just a guess.
I wouldn't think so. Because we all had the choice, but you could argue we didn't receive the emails at the same time. However, still if you think about it, it could be just fair: I have been in industry for a couple of years now. Haven't touched calculus at all during that time. While someone else might be still an undergrad who has all of it fresh on their minds.

I am more inclined now, having checked posts from past years, to say it's not the beast we think it could be.

I got rejected straight out with a well prepared application and a very high GPA in computer science undergraduate along with work experience in credit risk. I wasn’t even invited for an interview.

I got rejected straight out with a well prepared application and a very high GPA in computer science undergraduate along with work experience in credit risk. I wasn’t even invited for an interview.

Will there be questions about linear algebra in the quant assessment? I saw it included in the suggested background section on the website, but the emails seems to only include calculus and probability in the guidance.

Could anyone help clarify on this: will the quant assessment contain linear algebra or not? I saw linear algebra in the suggested background section in the website and the sample questions, but not in the email guidance about quant assessment.

There is someone saying that this year's number of ppl who received invitation of interview is smaller compared to past. Dont know if the statement is true.

I had the assessment and it was pretty basic. As was told in the email there were just basic calculus and probability/ statistics problems. You don't have to worry about that. The same is true about programming question.

I had the assessment and it was pretty basic. As was told in the email there were just basic calculus and probability/ statistics problems. You don't have to worry about that. The same is true about programming question.
Thanks for sharing and best of luck for your interview! Just to confirm: there is no linear algebra, right? Is the programming language specified or it's up to us? A huge thank you

And how is it proctored? I'll have to set up my system accordingly then

Back