• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Move from quant to big tech

Has anyone every moved from a quant role into a tech role at a big tech company? Do you need to apply for entry level roles or can you be considered for a higher level? Is leetcode enough to prepare? Is it easy to get interviews with 2-5 years of experience as a quant?

Tech just seems like it pays better and WLB is better. Most of all I am tired of the dinosaur tech in the quant space

Last edited:
if you don’t mind me asking what is the compensation difference? Like are you saying quants make 125k usd and big tech 175k usd?

if you don’t mind me asking what is the compensation difference? Like are you saying quants make 125k usd and big tech 175k usd?
entry quant positions (associate level) in sell-side are 125-130k base for some banks, 150k base for other banks. entry quant positions in buy-side are usually 150k+ base (don't know abt the bonuses since im only familiar with the intern pay - some say bonus is 1:1 to base)

entry (L3) in big tech are usually 130k base + stock + bonus so ~185k total comp? comp is pretty comparable but yeah it's true big tech is usually ALOT more chill (some would say quant finance is more fun though).

Back