• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSc Finance LSE vs UChicago MS Financial Mathematics

MSc Finance LSE vs UChicago MS Financial Mathematics

• Total voters
Hi All,
Wanted your advice in choosing the programme which will be most suitable for me.
Continent doesn't matter to me much.

Desired Field to Go:
Structuring (Structured Finance roles in Investment Banks) or Trading or Portfolio Management.
I don't want to go to Private Equity, Corp Finance.

Concerns:
  1. LSE is a short 10 month course whereas UChicago course is 15 months with an internship cycle.
  2. Don't know much about the new VISA requirements in UK post study.
  3. LSE curriculum seems known to me since i have covered most of the courses in CFA curriculum. The delta of learning would be less in LSE when compared to UChicago. Delta of learning in UChicago would be greater as I haven't covered quantitative courses and python courses earlier which might be useful later.
  4. I might end up searching for a job with a big liability in recession period if i choose LSE.
  5. UChicago is not that well known in comparison to other schools such as Columbia, CMU and Cornell in USA whereas LSE brand name for Msc Finance is very good in London.
  6. USA current status due to Covid19 is bad than UK.

Profile:
Bachelors in Mechanical and Minors in Finance from Top tier university in India
CFA Level 3 Cleared
3years work experience in Structured Trade review(back end review work of structuring) and Valuations in Credit Suisse.

Last edited:
You already have the financial knowledge from the CFA program so I’d stay it will be an added value if you pursue the Financial Mathematics program.

UChicago is one of the top 10 ranked universities in the world. It has one of the best economics and finance faculty in the whole world! Who told you that UChicago isn't well know in the US?
Hi, Don't get me wrong. I was comparing the university in terms of the course rankings.

c

If you don't minding sharing, what are the other courses you are considering ?
Courses as in Universities? Right now i have admits from UChicago, LSE and Rutgers. I am awaiting for results from Columbia.

Both programs are excellent. I am an LSE graduate and I'll be joining the MSFM program at UChicago. If you're interested, feel free to connect with me. From an academic perspective, I would personally recommend the UChicago program over LSE finance. However, London is definitely much better as a city to live in, and I would rather work in London than in Chicago after graduation.

Both programs are excellent. I am an LSE graduate and I'll be joining the MSFM program at UChicago. If you're interested, feel free to connect with me. From an academic perspective, I would personally recommend the UChicago program over LSE finance. However, London is definitely much better as a city to live in, and I would rather work in London than in Chicago after graduation.
Also, forgot to point out that I am also accepted into Columbia's MSFE. Both programs are great if you're interested in working in areas like derivative procing. In my case, I am leaning towards Chicago's program because I'm awarded a generous scholarship.

Hi guys, is there a thread where I can find the applicant profiles for UChicago MSFM accepted candidates? I would like to get an idea of a standard applicant before deciding to apply there.

Back