• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

msf/mfe career options

Hello

I have a sort question, I am in finance bachelor, wanting to shoot for a MSF/MFE degree
More specifically it is a master in accounting and finance with a fin engineering track
combined with my finance undergrad will it be adequate for both pools of jobs? (quant roles, and corp finance/asset management)

am I the only one who. whenever I look at a curriculum and I see accounting courses in it, the degree has automatically lost its credibility to me?

I'm of the opinion that an accounting background is great for if you want to take on more old school traditional finance jobs like corporate finance, IB (although admitedly it also requires sales skills), equity research (with some degree of understanding business strategy and the sector you cover ), or just an accountant. I feel that for quantitative finance a decent grasp of financial accounting and how the 3 main statemengs work is good enough. Ofcourse this is just my view (subject to change as i gain more life exp).

Thank you all for your answers.

Andy, the program has 4 basic classes (corporate finance, financial math, business valuation/financial analysis, financial accounting) and 8 quant orianted +thesis.

According to you, i can theoretically do, whatever a msf grad can do, and be a second class quant?
IF that helps, i check the professors of the program, all of them were engineers/mathematicians,before the phd in finance.

Thanks for your answers again

I think when they say financial math, it is not the same as quant math. Quant math requires stuff like stochastic calculus, optimization, and probability theory in general. I think your program is going to be much simpler by comparison. Quant finance is a very specialized field that usually requires a degree in its own.

Back