• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need career advice

Which position to take?

• small prop shop

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • tier 1 bank

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
I need to make a decision whether to join a small prop shop (quant trader position) in Chicago
or a tier1 bank in nyc (quant analyst).
I want to end up in quant trading for some of the best shops.

The reason I am asking is because I've talked to a lot of people and some have told me
that it's better to take a banking job first to build a network and then switch.

While others have told me it's better to get a position that matches the one I want to work.
And that my performance will be the only thing that matters.

Not considering salary, and the possibility of a small shop going down
what would be a better way to break into the likes of (Optiver, Akuna,...)?

Nobody is responding because both could easily be the correct answer. Too many variables.

Team.
What you will be working on.
Location.
What type of quant analyst.
You should consider salary.
...the list goes on.

You need to speak with some sell side quants and then some people working in similar roles on the buy side and make this call yourself.

Back