• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF NYU v Columbia, OR v Econ

Dear all,

I am a college student and about to graduate in 2 weeks. I have two options after graduation: 1. to get a second bachelor (2 yr) at Columbia Fu foundation school of engineering in Operations research or FE. 2. a Master in Econ at NYU (It is terminal master's degree at NYU).

My background is in Economics/Math. In order to qualify for the columbia program, I have also taken computer science and science classes, but really don't enjoy them that much (can do it though). I don't know if that Engineering school program is designed for quants, but I don't see myself capable for being a quant. I think I will really enjoy working in corporate finance, business, and I-banking, etc, and I really don't think my skill set and ability are best suited as a quant. If just choosing between schools, I would prefer Columbia. For some personal reasons, Columbia has been a dream for me for a few years now. But as it is a second bachelor, instead of a master, I really don't know if my time will be better spent getting the master's (it's a yr and half).

If you were me, what would you choose? Is the operations research at Columbia at a bachelor's level really quantitative and designed for future quants?

Sorry if that seems like a silly question. I would really appreciate your help and insight!

Thanks,
Leah Chong

Back