• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

On the last day of trading Call-Options

Dear All,

A weekly call option, which was purchased at-the-money, is currently out-of-money on the last day of trading before expiry, with no long position on the underlying stock.

e.g. 1 XYZ Call at strike price of $100, expiring on Fri Apr 21 2012, was purchased at premium of $10, on Monday. Broker commision is $10 + $0.75/contract. On Friday morning, the price being $90, with the current premium being bid=$0.50 and ask=$0.65.

I have the following questions regarding recovery of losses:
  1. What would be the strategy/s to recover losses (as much as possible), without use of margins (ie. no short-selling/sell-to-open stocks/options) with cash available for investments, the same (or slightly more) as that used to purchase the option at the beginning of the week ($1010.75) ? (Please use assumptions as appropriate, and state them, to provide a working strategy)
  2. I expect any strategy would involve risks. Is there any sure method (risk free) to recover the entire loss before expiry, say with further cash-investments if necessary ?
  3. Can the Binomial method or Black Sholes method be used for guidance ? Are those models reliable on the last day for trading (which might be affected by intra-day volatility) ?

I look forward to you responses.

Thanks.

Back