• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Opinions on Top Programs: LSE, CMU, Cornell, Princeton, NYU, USC

I applied to LSE, Cornell, CMU, Princeton, NYU and USC for Fall 2009 admission. I was admitted into the former three and am still awaiting responses from the latter three.

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what they honestly think of these programs? How is the job market for people who graduated from Cornell/CMU this past December? LSE last May?

CMU gave me $24000 (full time in NY) and Cornell $5000. I am still awaiting word of a $20000 scholarship I was invited to apply for at Cornell.

Just for convenience, say I got admitted into all six programs. What would you guys suggest I do to feel confident I make the right decision? I was surprised to hear people from School A putting down NYU so much. Is there something I am missing? I think all of these programs are highly coveted and do not think any of them are particularly weak.

Any thoughts/insights would be most appreciated!

Please read and search the forums; opinions on all top programs are found around here.

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what they honestly think of these programs? How is the job market for people who graduated from Cornell/CMU this past December? LSE last May?

Many of these programs are not releasing information on how their alumni are faring or how many people they're placing in internships. Andy has sent questionnaires to these places (and others). If memory serves, I think only Princeton replied.

If, on the other hand, you want hearsay and anecdotal evidence, you must agree this provides a fragile and unreliable basis for a rational decision. For what little it's worth, I'd probably choose CMU from the list you've provided. It's probably the oldest program around; it has a reputation in the market; and its faculty are seasoned (like Steven Shreve). More than this I cannot say. Caveat Emptor.

Back