• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Oxford MFE Offer: Should I accept it?

Greetings,

I received an offer from Oxford MFE program. I did not get the chance to apply to MIT MFin (another of my choice). As the deadline to accept the offer is before the application deadline for MIT, I would not know if I would get in there or not.

I have some concerns that I want to address and get some thoughts on:

1. Is it worth the price tag it comes with? (GBP 60,000 including living expense etc.)
2. How many students of the program receive some scholarships? How easy/difficult it is to obtain some funding?
3. Given Brexit, does it affect the Investment Banking and Asset Management Industry in London enough to worry about it?
4. As an non-EU national, would the companies prefer the European candidates over others as they don't need any sponsors?
(General consensus is that it's hard to get a job in the UK for non-EU nationals)

My Background: I am an Indian national working in a middle office in Hong Kong. I would like to break into IB after my masters. I don't have a location preference (I would not mind returning to Hong Kong)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Congratulations on your admission. One way to think about this - Is there a deposit requirement to attend? Maybe pay that if it's not much, and consider it equivalent to the price of an option? I'm not sure how ethical that is, but circumstances do change for a variety of reasons.

Greetings,

I received an offer from Oxford MFE program. I did not get the chance to apply to MIT MFin (another of my choice). As the deadline to accept the offer is before the application deadline for MIT, I would not know if I would get in there or not.

I have some concerns that I want to address and get some thoughts on:

1. Is it worth the price tag it comes with? (GBP 60,000 including living expense etc.)
2. How many students of the program receive some scholarships? How easy/difficult it is to obtain some funding?
3. Given Brexit, does it affect the Investment Banking and Asset Management Industry in London enough to worry about it?
4. As an non-EU national, would the companies prefer the European candidates over others as they don't need any sponsors?
(General consensus is that it's hard to get a job in the UK for non-EU nationals)

My Background: I am an Indian national working in a middle office in Hong Kong. I would like to break into IB after my masters. I don't have a location preference (I would not mind returning to Hong Kong)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Hi,

Regarding Brexit - already a lot of banks are planning to move headcount to Ireland and mainland Europe. This is because passporting wont work for EU citizens to work for in London. Obv an big issuse of IBs but am not sure how relevant it is for asset management. Are you sure of what you wnat to work after the degree? If you are MO for equity derivatives, then maybe its easier to aim for a FO role in equity derivatives as you have product knowledge. Good luck!

Back