COMPARE Part-time, Columbia MAFN vs MSOR vs Stat etc

• Thread starter Thread starter NSUNG
  • Start date Start date
Hello,

I graduated top computer science school and worked as an algo trader in NYC quant trading team for a year. I really enjoy learning and working here but want to learn more statistical and financial skills to improve my strategies.

My primary target is :
To learn statistical concepts and improve data analysis skill.
Avoid pricing - related course but take more time series related course.
Shorter is better. No programming course needed. Moderate workload preferred.

I found several part-time degrees include NYU MSMF, CMU MSCF, CU MSOR, Stat and MAFN.
I narrow down my option to Columbia's degree programs because,
CMU is prestigious with strong programming requirements and good career service. Both are unnecessary.
NYU have great coursework but it is relatively long and expensive. Also has high workload.
Princeton was my dream school when I was in college but looks like it is more for banking/ normal trader track and also it has only full time program.

Therefore I end up with MSOR, Stat and MAFN.
Can I get any advice in my situation?
Seems like MSOR offer similar course to MFE. I am not sure I can choose various electives related to those topics.
It seems like MAFN has relatively low workload but looks like mandatory courses are useless for me.
I have no information of Master in Statistics program.

What could be a best option for me in this case? Any recommendation other than these programs? Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm currently enrolled part-time in Columbia's MSOR program through CVN. It provides good flexibility to tailor the courseload to meet your specific needs and I can't stress enough how convenient it is to be able to watch lectures online, particularly when you are working full time and traveling.

Back