• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF Part time Math-Fin application

Hi,

I've been working in tech for a bunch of banks in New York over the past 3 years. I love programming but wanted to work closer to the business instead of doing generic IT work. So I gave the GRE again. Did fairly well and applied to the NYU Math-Finance program (part-time) for Spring 2012.

I'd like to work in algorithmic/high-frequency trading eventually because that is where my interests/skill sets lie. And was hoping that this degree would help me get the formal finance/math background that I currently lack.

Background:
Masters in CompSci from Columbia, GPA 3.5
Undergraduate degree from India, GPA 3.6
GRE: 164Q 162V
Worked in a variety of front office IT roles on the Fixed Income and Exotics desk.

I'd like to know your thoughts on how competitive the part-time program at NYU is (I do know that the FT program is super tough to get into). And if an MFE is the right way to go about for this career goal.

Thanks.
-Morty

Note: I'm only considering a part time program. I can get my firm to pay for some of the tuition. I love what I'm doing now. The only reason I'm considering this is because I know I might get bored of this eventually and I guess I'm just preparing myself for an eventual career transition 3-4 years down the line.

Don't expect much career service support from the program as you would a full-time student. Many of your part-time classmates would be working already in finance so try to network with them. A lot of adjuncts teaching in the NYU program are in practitioners in hiring position as well so take advantage of that.
If your employer covers most of the cost, it's a win-win situation for you. The schedule will be demanding and many people will drop out midway.

The program website says that PT students aren't eligible for career services. I'm hoping that I can leverage the fact that I'm already working in the industry. And like you said, use the opportunity to develop relationships with professors and students.

Can someone comment on the usefulness of an MFE degree on the HFT/Algo trading desk?

Back