Path to quant trader or trading system development

Hi,

I wanted some advice on how to move towards my goal of quant or algorithmic trader. I am currently working as software developer in hft firm in India. I have around 2 years of experience in the field and wanted to move in more trading role. I have sufficient understanding of market dynamics by now and know the whole process of strategy development.

But it is difficult to move within the firm so I tried searching roles elsewhere, but havent been very successful, was able to get couple of roles but in trading software development in HK and Canada. I thought of couple of options, please advice which seems better. I have a undergrad degree in Computer Science and minor in Mathematics

1. Take up the trading system development roles and pursue the degree later. Both gain exposure and save some bucks to maybe pursue degree later
2. Pursue MS Comp with minor in Stats and Finance -> seems ideal but dont know many places offering such classes. Also better bet as you always have development roles to fall back on.
3. Pursue MFE -> will provide good background in finance, basic quant trading skills
4. Pursue MBA -> wholesome education in business and finance and lot of options but seems overkill.

My personal choice is to take option 1 and then take up option 2 or option 3 later on. Looking forward to some valuable advice.

Thanks

I would say take the trading development role and then pursue a mfe or master in computer science. From my point of view MBA would be better than MFE, unless it is from a top tier school like UCB, CMU or NYU.

Back