• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD vs MFE , USA vs the world etc.

Hello all,

I'm contemplating several options and anyones opinion will be appreciated.

Disclaimer - Long and boring life story, jump to the end for the actual questions :).

Background:

I grew up in a house where the Stock Market was the talk of the day, my father used to have a small company where he managed the stock portfolio of his clients. He is now retired but still invest in the markets and manage peoples portfolios.

When I went to school for my undergrad (2004-2008, Electrical Engineering) the High-Tech world still seemed to be a good option where one can work in an interesting field and still have the option to make big bucks. Later on I reveled this to be quite far-fetched from reality , the size of the capital you need to have to make it is quite large and mostly unfeasible.

Post Undergrad:

I finished my B.Sc EE at around July 2008 , right in time for the huge crisis :)
There was no jobs on the market and everyone was firing like crazy, by that time I already understood that if one want to make a good living than the shortest path to money is by working with money. This is when I started to hear about Financial Engineering as the root of the crisis and I fell in love with the notion of using what I learned and loved in Engineering to make money, instead of doing the long and extrusive route from idea->prototype->product->marketing->sales->money that a regular EE take, this was very charming to me, no bullshit, aiming for the end goal right from the beginning.

I started looking for MFE programs and discovered that there are none in Israel, out of Israel was contemplated but wasn't really an option due to the immense cost and post crisis financial situation.

Going back to school:

Finally I decided to continue in the route of EE and started a M.Sc here in Israel. I'm about to finish it, I'm quite disappointed , my advisors turned out to be really useless and clueless which was quite a surprise considering they each have ~200 publications and one of them is truly a master in his field.

Conclusions:

*The academia is overrated, most of the Professors and researches I have seen are far from impressive.
*All the degrees in the world won't make up for making too little money and being broke.
*Choose your degree not solely on the basis of interest , availability etc. Put a large emphasis on career choices and salary since this is what you'll be stuck with for decades after you finish the degree.

The questions:

1.PhD vs MFE:

1.1.Are there any PhD program in Financial Engineering?

1.2.Considering the answer to 1 is no, what would be the closet thing? Statistics? Finance?

1.3.How does the job market treat for example PhD in Statistics VS MFE ? In terms of positions, salary, number of available jobs?

2.USA vs the world:

2.1.I'm contemplating whether to do a PhD/MFE in the US or not, the biggest factor going for the USA is the connections, I assume that studying in a class where some students/professors are already employed where you want is an obvious huge advantage.

2.2.Price, USA tuition , housing etc is more expensive than most of the world so saving this large expense is obviously important.

2.3.Brand name, as we all know, places like Harvard , MIT etc are super-brand-names world wide. The question is how narrow minded companies are? For example, Israel is quite known for having large amount of patents and other ground-breaking research come out of it yet the universities here are somewhere around the top 100 world wide (which I think is underrated) probably due to political reasons amongst other subjective criteria by the rating bodies.
Will a Barclays HR throw away a PhD from Tel Aviv or Jerusalem university simply due to him not hearing of it or will they consider these places as a valid recruiting groud?

3.Getting a job in the US/UK.

3.1.One of the major advantages to doing a degree in the US/UK is that you get to stay and work there which is a huge plus. The salaries are much bigger and FE is much more developed there than here.

4.Admissions.

4.1.Most US institutes require GMAT/GRE etc , I haven't done these since here we have different local exams. Doing these and all the other huge amount of bureaucratic paper work that require to apply to a US school will probably take a year which I can use here to finish ~20% of a degree.

I think this is a long enough post :)

The questions:

1.PhD vs MFE:

1.1.Are there any PhD program in Financial Engineering?

1.2.Considering the answer to 1 is no, what would be the closet thing? Statistics? Finance?

Give yourself back-up options, an escape hatch, so that you're not wedded exclusively to financial engineering. Thus you may be an expert statistician or an expert scientific programmer. It's not clear what will happen to financial engineering in the future and giving yourself extra options can't hurt. People are having to "reinvent" themselves all the time.

3.Getting a job in the US/UK.

3.1.One of the major advantages to doing a degree in the US/UK is that you get to stay and work there which is a huge plus. The salaries are much bigger and FE is much more developed there than here.

Unless you have something special going for you (an EU passport, influential contacts, a large bank balance), write off the UK as an employment destination.

Give yourself back-up options, an escape hatch, so that you're not wedded exclusively to financial engineering. Thus you may be an expert statistician or an expert scientific programmer. It's not clear what will happen to financial engineering in the future and giving yourself extra options can't hurt. People are having to "reinvent" themselves all the time.

Unless you have something special going for you (an EU passport, influential contacts, a large bank balance), write off the UK as an employment destination.

The backup option already exists, two degrees in EE and working experience.
This is also why I'm thinking of doing it part-time while continuing to work, that way I keep on gaining experience.

Furthermore, even if FE will not be the greatest area in the future I want to move into finance, it's simply where the money and action is.

I can probably get a EU passport by the time I finish a PhD , but that isn't the main concern here.

The main concern when getting abroad for employment is the ability to stay there for a specified time. Many countries have toughen immigration process and firms are "forced" (kind of) to employee local citizens. Britain becomes one of such restriction heavy place. So I wouldn't even consider getting education in place where you are almost guaranteed to leave.

The main concern when getting abroad for employment is the ability to stay there for a specified time. Many countries have toughen immigration process and firms are "forced" (kind of) to employee local citizens. Britain becomes one of such restriction heavy place. So I wouldn't even consider getting education in place where you are almost guaranteed to leave.

Hi , thanks for replying.

The most probable locations are US and maybe Singapore.
I actually started examining the option of doing the PhD here, I have a meeting with a Statistics Professor tomorrow :)

One of my main concerns is whether to go for a PhD or MFE, I really want to switch fields and although I like crunching numbers I suspect that MFE might be too technical which isn't the switch I want.

After doing some reading around here a PhD in Finance seem to be more oriented to what I want to do later on.

Hi , thanks for replying.

The most probable locations are US and maybe Singapore.
I actually started examining the option of doing the PhD here, I have a meeting with a Statistics Professor tomorrow :)

One of my main concerns is whether to go for a PhD or MFE, I really want to switch fields and although I like crunching numbers I suspect that MFE might be too technical which isn't the switch I want.

After doing some reading around here a PhD in Finance seem to be more oriented to what I want to do later on.

Well, Good Luck then! Hope to hear good news from you soon.

Well, Good Luck then! Hope to hear good news from you soon.

This sort of good news can only be analyzed in a ~10 year span.
I no longer see the PhD as THE target, nice to have, respectful etc...BUT at the end it's only a tool to the end target which is having a high living standard ( which includes income, interest in my profession , flexible schedule etc)

This sort of good news can only be analyzed in a ~10 year span.
I no longer see the PhD as THE target, nice to have, respectful etc...BUT at the end it's only a tool to the end target which is having a high living standard ( which includes income, interest in my profession , flexible schedule etc)

Every individual has his/her own criteria for happiness in career. I'm personally targeting PhD for your second stated reason. Good Luck in that one. ;)

Every individual has his/her own criteria for happiness in career. I'm personally targeting PhD for your second stated reason. Good Luck in that one. ;)

As long as you chase the essence and not the title than I'm all for it.

As long as you chase the essence and not the title than I'm all for it.

I got your point. Completely, and agree. It's up to you to decide whether to apply for MFE or PhD. You see PhD as softer (as I see)
I suspect that MFE might be too technical which isn't the switch I want.
Wholetheadly, I agree your opinions stated in above posts.

Back