• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please give feedback on my GRE score. I am torn between retaking it or not for top programs

A bit of background:

I went to a ~50th ranked university in the US for engineering and then went to an Ivy for MS in engineering.
UGPA: 3.91 / GGPA: 3.62
GRE: 168Q / 157V / 4.5W

I am applying to the same Ivy for MFE, as well as other schools. I feel like my profile is so borderline admission to these programs but I don't think I have enough time to redo the studying and taking the GRE process to make a difference.

Keep in mind Cornell (deadline was Dec 1) doesn’t even look at your GRE score and Columbia explicitly says “Students will not be penalized in anyway if not submitting GRE”. Thats a great quant score too so thats my two cents

Keep in mind Cornell (deadline was Dec 1) doesn’t even look at your GRE score and Columbia explicitly says “Students will not be penalized in anyway if not submitting GRE”. Thats a great quant score too so thats my two cents
UChicago also accepts students without GRE scores if their background is strong enough. You should be fine at least for those schools

More programs will waive the GRE tests so you should beef up some other aspects of your profile.
How about taking C++ or Python courses and earn the certificates to show them?

I took a course on AI/Machine learning applications in finance using Python and have in-depth MATLAB knowledge from engineering, so I should have that covered but I appreciate the suggestion.

I went to a ~50th ranked university in the US for engineering and then went to an Ivy for MS in engineering, I am applying to the same Ivy for MFE, as well as other schools.

I'm curious why you're planning on doing another masters when you already did one at the same Ivy no less.

MS in biomedical engineering doesn't give finance credibility for investment banking
Are you interested in doing investment banking or quant work? If quant work, a MS in biomedical engineering should be fine since you came from an Ivy. I think at that point, it's more about networking and brushing up on quant interviewing skills.
Ok, so in that case, probably just focus on the other aspects of your application, e.g., statement of purpose.

Are you interested in doing investment banking or quant work? If quant work, a MS in biomedical engineering should be fine since you came from an Ivy. I think at that point, it's more about networking and brushing up on quant interviewing skills.

Ok, so in that case, probably just focus on the other aspects of your application, e.g., statement of purpose.
I'm interested in IB and using MFE to get there, but ultimately am trying to get to venture capital

This is what I have been reading recently, but I have read employment placement statistics of IB being pretty high for a few MFE programs. Post-MBA IB is not an easy place to be if you are trying to work a job that is more stable such as VC in terms of wlb

I'm applying to a bunch of MFin programs I just don't know how much the verbal part matters for the GRE, I've heard not as much recently

Back