• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please help me to figure out with my study plan

Hi there!

I'm going to start my freshman year at UC Berkeley this fall. My major is Applied Math. Now, I'm in the process of picking classes and making my study plan. Here're the classes that I have to take to meet the course requirements:

LOWER-DIVISION REQUIRED COURSES

Mathematics 1A Calculus
Mathematics 1B Calculus
Mathematics 53 Multivariable Calculus
Mathematics 54 Linear Algebra & Differential Equations
Mathematics 55 Discrete Mathematics

UPPER-DIVISION REQUIRED COURSES

Mathematics 104 Introduction to Analysis
Mathematics 110 Linear Algebra
Mathematics 113 Introduction to Abstract Algebra
Mathematics 128A Numerical Analysis
Mathematics 185 Introduction to Complex Analysis

Besides them, I would like to take some classes in order be more prepared for the MFE programm, which I want to start right after college.

Which classes would you advice me to take?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Nursultan

You could look into the courses offered by the statistics department (stochastic processes, time series etc.) and for programming, see if you can fit the CS 61 series into your schedule, otherwise consider the self-paced programming language courses (CS 9 series).

I will agree with Andy.Hone your programming skills in languages like C++/Java.Definitely take a course in Data Structures/Algorithms.If possible do some courses like Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence from CS department.

Back