Possible career paths for Physics PhD graduate

• Thread starter Thread starter Maki
  • Start date Start date
Hi

I am currently doing a PhD in theoretical physics and should be finished within a year. I am finding that physics does not seem to interest me as much as it did when I started and am looking to do something different. One option that I have been tossing up is trading analyst/algorithmic trading, but to be honest I don't know much about it... My incentive for such a career choice was primarily financial but I also would like a challenging job which requires analytical thinking. Could someone give me some advice to whether such a job is well suited and list possible required skills for such a job e.g. programing etc.
Other suggestions for possible career choices are also welcome.

thanks

Maki

Thanks for the link I clearly have a lot or reading to do...
I also had a few broad questions regarding this field:

1) How easy would it be to get a job in this field with a PhD in theoretical physics. I do not have any financial background, and although I have some programming experience (mainly C++) I am by no means an expert?

2) How challenging is this field? I see a lot of articles discussing P&L margins: With the right training is it this still difficult to have a good P&L percentage?

3) What would be the best way to prepare my self for this field?

thanks again and sorry for the vague questions

Attachments

Thanks for the links...

I've done a bit of reading now, and I feel that I may be lacking some skills, in particular some programming skills.
Would it be worth doing another degree for example a masters in computer science? Or is this too much would I be better off if I just teach my self for several months programming and some basic financial maths such as Stochastic calculus?

thanks again

Back