Pre-Masters acceptance rules for applications

I have a simple question. I'm being turned away from internship positions for next summer because I'm graduating my undergrad this spring and haven't been accepted into a masters degree yet (applications haven't even opened). Because I can't lay claim to a masters degree in progress, I can't set my end date to the future- so they want me to apply to full-time positions instead.

How should I be approaching this?

You’re in a bit of a pickle. I never had this problem.

Perhaps add a section and just label it Master of Financial Engineering next to it in paranthesis just add (Pending Acceptance).

Then, outline a few bullet point about the topics / types of courses you plan to take.

you can put an intended start date and TBD as the end date.

The key is that the (Pending Acceptance) tag and no actual school name.

You’re in a bit of a pickle. I never had this problem.

Perhaps add a section and just label it Master of Financial Engineering next to it in paranthesis just add (Pending Acceptance).

Then, outline a few bullet point about the topics / types of courses you plan to take.

you can put an intended start date and TBD as the end date.

The key is that the (Pending Acceptance) tag and no actual school name.
A hiring manager at a firm I reached out to offered this same advice, I took it. The one exception being that I stipulate the end date if the posting requires a specific time frame.

I'll apply to degrees in one and two year timeframes so that I've got the option. The one's I'm most keen on aren't one year, but if a good enough company offers me an internship I'd find a good one year degree and accept the offering.

Then I can choose to accept the return offer (if I get one) or, since I'll have bought myself enough time to become mathematically mature and quite well set up, I'll take the work experience into my resume and then head to an MFE and that recruiting cycle and then enter full time workforce. That's the plan anyway.

Back
Top Bottom