• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation and career advice

• Thread starter Thread starter Nagan
  • Start date Start date
So I'll be starting my 3rd year in August and I wanted to know how I should proceed further to increase my chances of getting into a good MFE program.

My profile till now:
I'm doing Btech in Data Science from a not-so-good college and hold a CGPA of 9.55/10. Since it's a data science course, mathematics courses are also involved. I've attached all the SS of all the math courses in my degree. I'll get an option to take up a minor specialization in financial analytics later on in my 4th year.

Besides academics, I've been working on a research paper with a faculty on the application of Markov chains and probability. I also have a few projects on machine learning applications in finance. I have also undertaken MOOC courses primarily on Coursera on financial engineering, risk management, and ML in finance and currently, I'm taking a course on option pricing using mathematical models.

Currently, I'm doing an academic internship that is based on VR and AI so I think that won't help much. But later this year I'll be doing another academic research internship based on algorithm optimization at a university in Czechia. It was difficult to find directly mathematics-related internships in the second year, mostly those are open to only third-year students. I've started preparing for FRM part 1 recently and am planning to give it next year in March or August.

I'm in a dilemma on how to proceed further to improve my chances of getting into a good master's program. Should I try for more research internship opportunities or try for corporate internships? Which one holds more value for MSQF? I want to start in the role of quant research and that's why I've been focused on research internships. My target school for MsQF is ETH Zurich, but I want to know what the realistic possibilities are given my bachelor is not from a top college. How can I orient my profile to improve my chances of getting into a top QF program?

I know it's not completely impossible as there are a few seniors from my college who got into top QF programs like CMU and Georgia Tech.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-25 131159.webp
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 131159.webp
    156.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-06-25 131143.webp
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 131143.webp
    98.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2024-06-25 131127.webp
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 131127.webp
    97.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2024-06-25 131110.webp
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 131110.webp
    82.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-06-25 131055.webp
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 131055.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2024-06-25 131034.webp
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 131034.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 21
Hi there!

I did a BTech in CS too and faced rejections from top-notch FM/QF programs. If your undergrad lacks heavy analysis and topics like sigma field, Radon-Nikodym Theorem etc., you might find it tough to get into the top math-focused degrees.

Hi there!

I did a BTech in CS too and faced rejections from top-notch FM/QF programs. If your undergrad lacks heavy analysis and topics like sigma field, Radon-Nikodym Theorem etc., you might find it tough to get into the top math-focused degrees.
Hello
So where did you get admitted?

Diversify your applications. I think your internships will help but I am really not seeing how exactly you are going highlight why you are interested in quant. Usually, for applicants straight out of UG acads and the uni you went to play a huge role, especially in a place like India where there are a huge number of applicants (primarily from IITs). So, applying straight out of UG without being in a prestigious college and without having any directly relevant internship experience really doesn't help your case very much. Now, I am not saying you don't have a shot at the top 5/10 programs but these are very competitive programs so I would suggest that do diversify. Don't just apply to the top 10 programs. They are all really very competitive.

reify your applications. I think your internships will help but I am really not seeing how exactly you are going highlight why you are interested in quant. Usually, for applicants straight out of UG acads and the uni you went to play a huge role, especially in a place like India where there are a huge number of applicants (primarily from IITs). So, applying straight out of UG without being in a prestigious college and without having any directly relevant internship experience really doesn't help your case very much. Now, I am not saying you don't have a shot at the top 5/10 programs but these are very competitive programs so I would suggest that do diversify. Don't just apply to the top 10 programs. They are all really very competitive.
Yes that goes without saying. I'll keep options in hand. As for how I'm going to highlight interest in quant will be through internships and projects. As I said it's very difficult to find any kind quant or math based internships for 2nd years. But from next year I'll be able to apply a lot of research internships opportunities. So they would be relevant.
Apart from that I'm working of a math based research paper and project on ML. I'll continue to work on such projects and maybe another research. I hope this would be enough to highlight interest in quant.

In my opinion, that's what ETH Zurich could expect from prospective students for QF program.
Fin maths undergrad book

Yes that goes without saying. I'll keep options in hand. As for how I'm going to highlight interest in quant will be through internships and projects. As I said it's very difficult to find any kind quant or math based internships for 2nd years. But from next year I'll be able to apply a lot of research internships opportunities. So they would be relevant.
Apart from that I'm working of a math based research paper and project on ML. I'll continue to work on such projects and maybe another research. I hope this would be enough to highlight interest in quant.
Research paper and projects are good, yes. But as I said, almost all quant programs and MFEs are professional programs (not research focussed). They are looking for evidence for success in the workplace. So, I'd say, finding a relevant professional internship would help you far more than research papers and/or projects. Ofc it would be better if its a quant internship but any professional internship where you get to apply mathematics (e.g. data science/analytics) or anything that is related to finance (e.g. software dev roles at banks and other financial institutions) are going to help you a lot with your applications. I'd say focus on that. Just go through the expectations from incoming students for, say, the top 10 programs here. None of them will say that they look for research experience. Almost every program will say that they look for proof of success in a professional set up.

Last edited:
@lourano.x are you attending york this coming year for 24/25 or if you have already been. Please lf yes, i have a few questions for u as i will be attending starting september.

Research paper and projects are good, yes. But as I said, almost all quant programs and MFEs are professional programs (not research focussed). They are looking for evidence for success in the workplace. So, I'd say, finding a relevant professional internship would help you far more than research papers and/or projects. Ofc it would be better if its a quant internship but any professional internship where you get to apply mathematics (e.g. data science/analytics) or anything that is related to finance (e.g. software dev roles at banks and other financial institutions) are going to help you a lot with your applications. I'd say focus on that. Just go through the expectations from incoming students for, say, the top 10 programs here. None of them will say that they look for research experience. Almost every program will say that they look for proof of success in a professional set up.
Yep that gives a clarity. Thanks for the advice will surely consider them while planning ahead.

Back