• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation - Fall 2025 MFE

Hi ,
I am looking to apply for fall 2025 MFE/MSFM/MFin Programs.
I'd love get any sort of feedback/review on my profile. Also, any suggestions to improve my chances of getting into top programs are welcomed.

- Graduation - IIT (2023 Batch), Bachelors of Technology in Electrical Engineering - 7.63/10 CGPA

- Relevant coursework -
1. Mathematics I - (Calculus, multivariate calculus, applications of integrals, vector calculus, analytical geometry) - Grade A
2. Mathematics II - (Linear Algebra, ODE, PDE) - Grade A
3. Numerical methods and analysis - Grade B+
4. Engineering Economics and Finance - Grade A+
5. Data structures and Algorithms - Grade A+
6. Probability and Statistics - Grade B+
7. Computer programming (C Language) Theory + Lab - Grade B+ and A respectively
8. Principles of Artificial Intelligence - Grade B

- Work experience - 2 yrs. by fall 2025, working as a Software Engineer at a top tech firm in India. My current company is massive, but only in India :'(
Have also interned at another top tech firm in India.

- GRE - will be attempting soon, aiming for ~170Q and ~325/330 Overall

- Achievements
1. Had qualified for the ICPC Regionals - (C++ as programming lang)
2. Have a decent profile across many competitive programming websites - Leetcode, Codeforces, Codechef - (C++ as programming lang)
3. Was shortlisted for Worldquant research consultant program (ik it ain't a massive thing as such)

- Projects - 1 big project in C++, 1 in ML (also some involvements of maths), 2 in finance (1 on trading strategy, 1 on hedging)

- Courses
1. MSFM UChicago prep course
2. 2 UCLA Extension courses on stats and macroeconomics
3. Coursera courses on financial engineering and ML.
4. Bloomberg certificate - yet to enrol

Concerns - low graduation GPA, lack of relevant work experience, graduation coursework not be enough competitive for top programs.

I'm not much sure what are my chances in top programs, or in any program :'(

Last edited:
I tend to believe a good enough work experience balances out lower GPA.
What intrigues me more is, you have a pretty good SWE profile (and I think you can move onshore pretty easily in a couple of years), then why the switch to finance (considering no major work ex/coursework/certification)? This is something which the ad-coms would be interested to hear more about as well.

I tend to believe a good enough work experience balances out lower GPA.
What intrigues me more is, you have a pretty good SWE profile (and I think you can move onshore pretty easily in a couple of years), then why the switch to finance (considering no major work ex/coursework/certification)? This is something which the ad-coms would be interested to hear more about as well.
kinda knew that I'll be getting this question.
So, my main interests lies in mathematics, and some of its analytical/algorithmic implementations. Actually, this was the only reason I started out with competitive programming. Being honest, I didn't had much idea about quant finance (or finance in general) and stuff during most of my college days. It was after I got the offer from my current company, that I started to learn and have a look at the things involved in this domain (I don't really had anything much to do for 1-2 semesters)
Since then, I wanted learn more about finance in general. Also, my current job is great, but it doesn't really align much with the kind of problem solving I am into ;'(

kinda knew that I'll be getting this question.
So, my main interests lies in mathematics, and some of its analytical/algorithmic implementations. Actually, this was the only reason I started out with competitive programming. Being honest, I didn't had much idea about quant finance (or finance in general) and stuff during most of my college days. It was after I got the offer from my current company, that I started to learn and have a look at the things involved in this domain (I don't really had anything much to do for 1-2 semesters)
Since then, I wanted learn more about finance in general. Also, my current job is great, but it doesn't really align much with the kind of problem solving I am into ;'(
We are more same than we are different lol. Almost the same story.
Was in love with CP and algorithmic solving, and now lost in dev.
I see MFE as my salvation lol.

Your competitive edge is that you guys are working, building up on your experience. This means you can take as much time as you need to complete any missing requirement (math/finance/programming) before applying. This will make you much stronger than other applicants who apply out of undergrad.

content

Your competitive edge is that you guys are working, building up on your experience. This means you can take as much time as you need to complete any missing requirement (math/finance/programming) before applying. This will make you much stronger than other applicants who apply out of undergrad.

content
Sounds about right. I intend to apply next fall, and if done the proper way, I think I can cover a lot of ground to be honest.....

Back