• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation MFE/Mathematical Finance Fall 2024

kdb

MSc Mathematics and BE Electronics and Communication, BITS Pilani, India (Graduation in 2024)
CGPA:8.4/10, Expecting 8.68 on graduation next year.
GRE:170Q,153V, AWA:4
TOEFL: 102(R:23,L:26,S:29,W:24)

Relevant Courses:
M1(Calculus): B (8/10)
M2(Linear Algebra and Complex Numbers): B-(7/10)
M3(Differential Equations and their solutions): B(8/10)
Prob Stats: A-(9/10)
Principal of Economics: A(10/10)
CS F111(C Language): B-(7/10)
Optimization: B (8/10)
Discrete Mathematics: A-(9/10)
Operations Research: A (10/10)
Stats Inf and Applications: A (10/10)
Numerical Analysis: A-(9/10)
Partial Differential Equations: A-(9/10)
Ordinary Differential Equations: A-(9/10)
Data Structures and Algorithms: A-(9/10)
Object Oriented Programming: B-(7/10)

Work Experience
Internship at Invesco. Will be for 7 months by the time I apply. The work is related to the field.
Internship in Sports University, Cologne, Germany. Worked on various ML and Data analysis projects in sports.
ML intern in Bill Cloud, Pune, India. Finance Fraud related role where I had to use NLP to identify fraudulent bank statements.

Publication:
One paper on prediction of NIFTY AND BSE IT Index in an Indian journal with H-Index of 17.

Projects:
1 project on Monte Carlo simulation and queuing theory.
Year long Project on using numerical methods for solving Differential Equations.
Year Long Project on an optimization problem in the field of cost and utility.

Programs/Universities I am thinking to apply to:
a) CMU MSCF
b) Georgia Tech MS-QCF
c)UCLA Financial Engineering
d)UChicago Financial Mathematics (GRE not compulsory)
e)UWashington CFRM (GRE not compulsory)
f) Cornell Financial Engineering Concentration (GRE not compulsory)
g) Columbia Financial Engineering (GRE not compulsory)
h) NYU Courant Financial Mathematics

1)Based on my profile and the universities I have listed, is there any university that is too ambitious, and I should not apply there?
2)Any other universities/programs I should look at as well where I have a good chance? I am hoping for programs more focused on the coding and data science aspect of the field than finance.
3)Since my verbal score is lesser than average score for most places, should I worry about it? Also, does UCLA have a strict requirement for 157 in Verbal? Couldn't find anything firm there.
4)Not sure about the prospects and opportunities of UK Programs, is it as good as the ones in US?

Last edited:
1) No, 167 is fine. If a program doesn't take you it won't be because of that.

2) No, go for all uni's.

3) Add Baruch, they are the most rigorous coding school. CMU is either tied or just behind.

4) You should be able to talk them into letting that slide, if they bring it up. I don't know what SOP is, but if the INVESCO experience is in a related field then you should be good.

5) Probably not.

6) They aren't as good, not even close really. If you want the US market with its higher pay then it is best to stay in the US.

This pinned article outlines where certain programing languages are used in different programs. You will find it helpful.

Hi @MikeLawrence
Thanks a lot for your reply!!

2)Can you let me know how I should classify the universities? In the sense, where do I have a good chance of getting in, and where might I be overshooting?

3)I thought Baruch was too ambitious for my profile and, hence, didn't keep it on the list.

4)By SOP, I meant my Statement of Purpose or the essays we must submit with our application.

Thanks a lot for the list, will check it out!

2)Can you let me know how I should classify the universities? In the sense, where do I have a good chance of getting in, and where might I be overshooting?
Just figure out if you have the pre-reqs: look at websites and LinkedIn.
Also, check this out:

Just figure out if you have the pre-reqs: look at websites and LinkedIn.
Also, check this out:
Sure, thanks a lot for your reply!

Hi,
Was hoping if someone could let me know about the point regarding Cornell requiring a Finance Course as a part of curriculum.

Would be great if anyone could also give some answers regarding the other questions I have regarding my profile.

Thanks!

Hi,
Was hoping if someone could let me know about the point regarding Cornell requiring a Finance Course as a part of curriculum.

Would be great if anyone could also give some answers regarding the other questions I have regarding my profile.

Thanks!
I'd email Cornell admissions and ask that question, but I would guess they would likely not admit you if it is a required pre-requisite or they would offer you a conditional admission, but again definitely ask them.

Back