Profile Evaluation Spring 2025

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate if you could take a look at my profile.

-Geophysical Engineering BS 2.92 GPA, Colorado School of Mines 2024 (#5 US)
-GRE 161 Q, 157 V, 4.0 AWA
- Internship at Major Oil & Gas Company as Geoscience Data Analyst (Python project)
Math: Calc 3, DiffEQ, Mathematical Physics (PDE), Linear Algebra, Probability
CS: Machine Learning, Data Science, Python Sensor Systems
- Geophysics courses feature lots of data science, PDE's, linear algebra stochastic calculus.
- Senior project - worked with federal science agency (USGS) to expand earthquake prediction models using machine learning.
- modelled over 725,000 earthquakes with gradient boosting regression and other models

I'm applying to these programs for the Spring:
- GT QCF
- NCSU MF
- Cal MFE
- Stony Brook MQF

I believe that my essays and recommendations are strong. Do you think I have even a chance at any of these programs with a low GPA/ GRE Q? I only studied one month for GRE and know that I can do better but do not have time for Spring 2025. Please let me know. I would really appreciate if you took a look at this!

Thank you.

Couple of questions.
Are you US citizen/resident?
Why Spring 2025?
Cal MFE is UC Berkeley MFE?
Are you sure NCSU and Stony Brook have spring enrollment? If so, links?

If you must enroll in the Spring, it limits your option to a handful of programs. With your current GPA/GRE Q, your options and chances are even lower.

Thanks Andy. I am a US citizen, and I am interested in the Spring because I want to start soon. I do not want to work in Oil & Gas, where majority of geophysicists work, so I am having a hard time getting a job in the meantime. I am going to apply to more schools for the fall as well and retake GRE. NCSU and Stonybrook allow Spring admission. I am not sure about the links, but I spoke to both programs on the phone about it. Also yes, Cal MFE is UC Berkeley.

If you apply to more programs in the fall and get a better GRE Q, you increase your chance a lot. Some programs have an explicit GPA cut off north of 3.0.
I'm going to be frank and say that your only edge is being a domestic student. For a lack of better words, some programs may accept you as a DEI hire.
Still, they may be concerned that you will not be able to handle the rigorous math in the program. Just grab a Shreve textbook and see for yourself.
My advice is try to avoid the impulse of changing the career path without proper preparation. This is a very competitive industry and many people from top programs can't even secure an internship. Do yourself a big favor and read recent reviews and discussions for any programs you are applying to.
There is enough of those relevant information here for you to make an informed choice.

Saw this posted by a member here on another channel.

Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 5.06.33 PM.webp

I think I would really enjoy the rigorous math. I wanted to be in quantitative finance before I went to college and decided to study geophysics later on. I already have a little experience with stochastic calculus through digital signal processing and seismic wave analysis courses. Seismic waves recordings are subject to lots of random "noise" and thus require stochastic PDE's to model and attempt to remove the noise. I understand why my poor grades may indicate that I may not be prepared, but the grades are for reasons other than not understanding the material, which I indicated in my essays. I am planning to take GRE again soon to improve my quant score. Thank you!

Back