• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Programs that don't weigh work experience heavily?

• Thread starter Thread starter m_shah
  • Start date Start date
I'm a CS and Finance student with all CS related work experience(SWE, data science, ML) that plans on applying to programs for the Fall 2025 cycle with a 4.0 GPA. For math classes, I've taken Linear Algebra, Intro to Calculus-Based Probability, Multivariable Calculus, Optimization, Discrete Math, Sequential Decision Making.

What programs do I have chances of getting in without quant or finance-related work experience? Would I be able to get into CMU, Uchicago, Berkley or even Princeton or Baruch?

Also, from my understanding of admissions processes in other fields, applying early is better. Is that the same for MFEs?

Last edited:
No program requires work experience. It may help but not essential.
Data point: 82% of CMU MSCF incoming class of Fall 2023 has no full-time work experience. Similar numbers can be found at other programs as well.
The typical students in these programs are coming out of undergraduate.
Applicants from India typically have 1-2 years of FT work experience.

Back