• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant trader visa sponsorship

Hello, I am currently studying computer science in Serbia (went later to college so I'm a little bit older, 24). What can I do to become a quant trader?

Should I study something on the side or? Don't know where to start
Practice mental math on arithmetic.zetamac.com. aim to get above 60 consistently in 2mins. tradermaths.com/tradermath is also good so you are familar with decimals and negatives.
Practice leetcode
Practice brainteasers (look up past questions on glassdoor for different companies)
Practice probability questions e.g. bayes theorem, combinatorics, expected value - again on glassdoor or interview books
If they trade options be familiar with basic option strategies (spreads, flys etc), option pricing, pay-off diagrams, and the greeks

Depends a lot on what they trade and if they make markets or take risk but generally i would say
Practice mental math on arithmetic.zetamac.com. aim to get above 60 consistently in 2mins. tradermaths.com/tradermath is also good so you are familar with decimals and negatives.
Practice leetcode
Practice brainteasers (look up past questions on glassdoor for different companies)
Practice probability questions e.g. bayes theorem, combinatorics, expected value - again on glassdoor or interview books
If they trade options be familiar with basic option strategies (spreads, flys etc), option pricing, pay-off diagrams, and the greeks
Thanks, appreciate it

Practice leetcode
I have similar doubts with OP, and would like to ask for more opinions. I am currently studying PhD in Economics, but I would like to switch to quant role. I am curious is a degree in Math/Eng necessary to land a quant job? Or they will give you interview anyway?

Or they will give you interview anyway?

From my recent experience, the best choice as a PhD student is to apply for an Associate intern program in some banks. It seems to be the only way to get an interview in tune with a PhD mindset (as well as skipping insane online games and other things that we wouldn't like).

From my recent experience, the best choice as a PhD student is to apply for an Associate intern program in some banks. It seems to be the only way to get an interview in tune with a PhD mindset (as well as skipping insane online games and other things that we wouldn't like).
Generalizing much from your own experience? There are tons of PhDs at the top trading firms. You think they would interview the way they do if they weren't successful with it? If I remember correctly you applied for a trader role at one of the option market makers and then complained they were testing mental maths, reaction time, ability to memorize, ... through online games. Just because this wasn't for you and your expectations were mis-aligned, you shouldn't generalize and recommend others not to look into these paths.

In fact, I also wrote "in tune with a PhD mindset".
I am assuming that a PhD student did not choose his PhD according to particular mental abilities, he was top 5% in doing research and solving real problems instead. I am also assuming that a PhD student has no time to study quantitative finance during his PhD (although I personally know some PhD students that do not actually work for their PhD, it is sometimes allowed if your supervisor agrees).
Then, I personally found that banks mindset is much closer to the university mindset, and the possibility to start as an Associate because of your PhD is a very strong plus that rarely a company would consider.

I also know some Applied Mathematicians (with a strong background in Data Science) that managed to get a job at some top trading firms, as well as IMOist that got a job without a PhD... but... I'm pretty sure that my reccomendation is the easiest and the most normal way to get in while doing a PhD (and without any commercial experience).

Back