• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Questions from a prospective Columbia Operations Research & Financial Engineering student

Hi smarts,

I am a current student and just got accepted to Columbia's undergraduate program for Operations Research. Eventually, I plan to pursue their Advanced Track (basically harder classes) and Financial Engineering concentration at the same time.

I want to give myself solid background in finance, math, stat, or CS during this summer before I attend. I have taken those courses at my current institution, but I honestly have forgotten most of the stuff lol. Here are the courses/exams I have taken so far:

1) Finance: investment
2) Math: Calc 1,2,3, Linear algebra, ODE
3) Stat: Probability, econometrics
4) CS: intro CS(java), data structures (java)
5) Actuarial exams P(Probability), FM(Financial Mathematics, which is just interest theory), and MFE(Models for Financial Economics, which is about options pricing, delta hedging, stochastic differential equations, brownian motion, ito calculus etc).

Should I try to learn a new programming language or relearn probability or other stuff?

(by the way, I suck at coding)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Back