• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin Re Vera - Background Check

So Mfin uses Re Vera for background check. It is nothing new for Business School.

My employment is pretty unimpressive, all unpaid small-company internships in China. They are definitely not the make-or-break factors in the admission decision, and I cannot conceive why anyone will ever suspect me of fraud.

The Human Resources Department of the Chinese companies probably do not even keep a file on me (the director should remember me, but I'm afraid she may not recollect all info perfectly), and more importantly, none of them speaks English. My supervisor, a Hong-Kong educated, English-speaking guy, may be a better reference. My question are:

1. Does Re Vera routinely check ALL information? Or just major (full-time employment) and suspicious (red-flag raising claims, e.g. incredible numbers) info?
2. In case Human Resources Department does not keep a file on me, how does Re Vera go about verifying validity? Are words from HR staff , with no physical proof to back up, sufficient?
3. Does Re Vera just grab publicly available phone number to reach the company, then ask to redirect to HR, and ask questions? Or do they first request and use the contact info from me?
4. Will the investigation be a tedious fuss for my contacts? i.e. (ask my references/HR to fax/email/mail relevent paperwork, or ask my former boss "can I speak with a former colleague of him for a moment?", etc)

Frankly, I do not see any point of doing verification for some developing-country students. I am not contemplating this, but I do realize that some Chinese students can ask random people to pretend as the relevent references. Without database for income tax, work permit, social security, a person's past is whatever he claims to be. Meanwhile, people like me, who have honest but not major internship experiences with small companies, may not be able to substantiate my "real past" due to underdeveloped HR management system in China.

This is making me quite anxious.

there has been a lot of fraud and "resume embellishment" from applicants that come from developing countries, they will check everything to ensure that all you put in your resume is truthful and all your marks are correct, there is nothing to worry if all you put in your application are facts and not fictions. I do not see any reason why people who come from China should be exempted from background check just simply because there is no proper HR record keeping systems there, background checkers are smart enough to verify what they want

There was a scandal 2 years ago. A Chinese student was admited to Wharton based on falsified application materials. He managed to pass the verification test. The only reason he was caught is that he was so boastful about his "skills" that he made his fellow students angry and probably jealous. Some turned him in. Obviously I do not hold much regard for those 100-dollar-a-shot verification service.

For those interested in the process, here is my experience,

Re Vera will go about contacting companies on their own initiatives, often using public directory (or just Internet I guess). Most info is confirmed this way.

When they cannot find the companies' contact info, they contact you, asking for points of contact. Former supervisor, colleague, or client will do.

They are pretty efficient and responsive.

Back