• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Retrospective Career Advice

Hi,

I’m currently in my late 20s, trying to develop a long term view on my career and developments. I was hoping to learn from the experience of senior quants in this forum and solicit any perspective regarding tools/skill sets that they might have overlooked earlier in their careers, only to realise the importance of such skills.

For instance, in my limited work experience, I’ve always discounted the importance of social skills, and focused mainly on developing a technical niche. I now realise that regardless how quanty a career is, the social dimension is always essential for progression.

Happy to see what others have reflected on over their careers :)

In reflection I was a bit bashful about what skills I had socially. Yes, when I started out I probably didn't have the confidence I have now, but I always came across as easy to work with and at the same time would speak up and offer my opinion.

I was definitely too afraid of marketing and networking though. I did a job cold calling between my finance and data careers which helped overcome a lot of marketing, got good at it, and I've never regretted it as I'm a data freelancer now and am not afraid of phoning up strangers or asking for introductions through clients etc.

In relation to communication skills, I'd say understand what it actually means in a business sense. It doesn't mean just talk more to your boss. It's about getting information across whatever way that saves time. A lot of people think it means talking about work with your boss lots, when if you could explain it with a post-it note you've just wasted time instead of found other work to get on with. Thing is finance is a fast paced game and you need to be efficient. I ended up working for supervisors that taught me how to be succinct aswell, which meant reports got the point fast.

Another thing is to get your head out your desk and check you are doing things right or if there is a simpler solution. This is an issue with a lot of analytical jobs and jobs with any programming element where you could wast 10 hrs doing something that isn't what is being asked.

I'd say the same thing about your career. Always keep up to date. In the past I've been guilty of doing a lot of side projects that never help my career and what would have helped would have been vetting stuff with someone with expertise and cutting out useless projects. It's hugely important to me now as, while I have faith in that I can build any ML and data projects thrown at me, I need to be sure I don't invest time in something that is either overhyped or impossible to do or investing time and energy in companies that are mismanaged and have no clue.

Back