• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking Career Advice (for University student)

Hello everyone,

I am currently at UCSD, and have decided to remain in school for an extra year and double major in Computer Science in addition to my current major of Math/Econ. Therefore I will graduate next summer.

Given this background and that fact that I would like to break into finance, what type of jobs would be suitable for an entry level position which utilizes the skills obtained in a CS & Math/Econ double major program.

Additional Background Information: I have been interested in finance for quite a while now. I passed my CFA level 1 exam two years ago and have maintained excellent grades at my university (on track to graduate within the top 4%). In addition, I have completed an 8 month internship at a small financial advisory firm where I worked with one of the vice presidents who ran his own fund.

Any advice on specific jobs to research and information as to how I could go about applying to them. Unfortunately there is very little finance recruiting activity at my university (yet very heavy recruiting in tech).

Thank you for taking the time make suggestions!

i graduated from a lesser uc undergrad and luckily got into quant.

i would say if u can get into google, it's much better working there as portfolio analyst or software engineer...

Hello everyone,

I am currently at UCSD, and have decided to remain in school for an extra year and double major in Computer Science in addition to my current major of Math/Econ. Therefore I will graduate next summer.

Additional Background Information: I have been interested in finance for quite a while now. I passed my CFA level 1 exam two years ago and have maintained excellent grades at my university (on track to graduate within the top 4%). In addition, I have completed an 8 month internship at a small financial advisory firm where I worked with one of the vice presidents who ran his own fund.

Very impressive. I am a UCSD graduate and I know how tough the school is. Congratulations.

There are a few quant funds in LA that you might try for (sorry, I don't have a list off the top of my head). But most of the jobs are in Chicago or New York. With your academic background you might try applying to Columbia, NYU and CUNY or Berkeley. Your software background will definitely stand you in good stead. It may be possible to get a job at a finance firm as a software engineer and then, perhaps, move into a quant role or go back to school later. I'd imagine you're getting a bit tired of school.

While IntoDarkness seems to be challenged in his sentence construction, his observation might be worth considering as well.

Back