• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Should I apply for UCB MFE round 1 or 2? Your advice is much appreciated.

I am uncertain about whether I should apply for round 1 or 2 at UCB MFE. The reason for this is because I need time to prepare for the technical interview which is quite daunting. I have been out of school a while, and I have to review my math, stat, programming courses. I attended the info session at Berkeley today, and I was told that an interview invitation can be sent out any time once the application is submitted. The concern for applying round 2 is the time of result release, which is in early May. This date is after other programs' release dates. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone can give a hint about roughly when an interview invitation will be sent out after the application is submitted. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am uncertain about whether I should apply for round 1 or 2 at UCB MFE. The reason for this is because I need time to prepare for the technical interview which is quite daunting. I have been out of school a while, and I have to review my math, stat, programming courses. I attended the info session at Berkeley today, and I was told that an interview invitation can be sent out any time once the application is submitted. The concern for applying round 2 is the time of result release, which is in early May. This date is after other programs' release dates. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone can give a hint about roughly when an interview invitation will be sent out after the application is submitted. Thanks!

Deadline for round 1 is next week? Base your decision on whether you will need more time to finish your application.
Interview will be mostly based on your resume. Don’t worry too much about it. If you have been out of college for long, the interviewer will understand that.

I got my interview invite almost 3weeks after i submitted my application. May be different for others. In anycase, you will not need more than a week to review what is on your resume.

Deadline for round 1 is next week? Base your decision on whether you will need more time to finish your application.
Interview will be mostly based on your resume. Don’t worry too much about it. If you have been out of college for long, the interviewer will understand that.

I got my interview invite almost 3weeks after i submitted my application. May be different for others. In anycase, you will not need more than a week to review what is on your resume.

Thanks for the reply. Yep, the deadline for round 1 is Jan 9, and I have already prepared my application materials. Regarding the interview, preparing questions related to my resume should not take long. However, I heard that concepts of math, stat, and finance were asked during the interview, and programming skills listed on a resume are likely to be grinded. My C++ course was taken six years ago, and I did not use C++ in my daily jobs, let alone those math courses. 3 weeks sounds fine, I am more worried about receiving an interview invitation one or two weeks after I submit the application. Anyway, thank you again for advice and timeline!

Back