• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should you follow up and call a recruiter or assume that they don't want to talk to you?

I received a phone call from an in-house recruiter at a tier 1 investment bank for a middle office software developer position. I left a voicemail and didn't hear back from him for a couple of business days. Then I called him and he said that he likes my background and wants to set me up for a phone interview with the hiring manager and will get back to me. It's been 2 more business days and he still hasn't called back. To be honest, I was kind of nervous on the phone and may have hung up on him accidentally at the end of the phone screening before he said goodbye. The job description says "confident nature, willing & able to work on trading floor type of seating layout". I am generally confident and have decent social skills (not a typical geek) but was pretty nervous because I really want the interview.

I don't not sure how the financial industry works. Should I call him again because maybe he has actually forgotten and just hasn't had time to contact me or should I let it go and assume that they've disqualified me for some reason that they can't disclose, like, "we think you're not confident enough to sit on the trading floor"?

Last edited:
2 days is nothing. You are probably at the bottom of his priority list, give him a few more days to a week and follow up if he still hasn't come back to you. If you don't get contacted, move on.

Ok, good idea. Obviously, he isn't anxious about this like a job applicant...

It turns out I wasn't being evaluated negatively or anything. The recruiter was just very busy and, yes, I am sitting at the bottom of their list of priorities. At least he implied that I should call them and follow up if he hasn't gotten around to it!

FYI, middle office software developers don't sit on the trading floor. Don't get your hopes up.

Back