• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Strengthening Finance Background

Hello, everyone! I wonder if you could help me because I seem to be facing a problem with my MSc. applications. I come from Greece and have a 5-year degree in applied mathematics that consists of 60 math/physics / mechanics / programming courses. Anyway, after evaluating my options after graduating, I decided that a quantitative finance track would suit me best. For various personal reasons I decided to apply to the Netherlands. Although I was quite confident, because my mathematics and programming background are really strong, that the universities wouldn't mind the fact that I lack in a some economics courses this wasn't the case. Although I stated that I can self-study these courses and offered to be evaluated by the Universities they wouldn't conditionally accept me. I still have one more application left and well, I would like to know if there are any other options for me such as certificates etc. to prove my knowledge.

In case I get rejected would it be best to pursue an MSc. in Economics and then in Quantitative Finance? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Taking a masters as a means to get into another masters is a big waste of time and effort.

Are you sure that you were rejected because of the lack of finance/economics courses? If so why not just get credit by taking online courses instead of doing a whole different degree?

Yes, they told me the reason that they didn't accept me was due to the lack of asset management and investment courses. I've searched for several online courses but I'm not sure which one is the best choice. Any suggestions?

I am not sure about those kind of courses. Maybe someone with more familiarity with that kind of stuff can help you out.

Back