Suggestion Need

• Thread starter Thread starter Tsotne
  • Start date Start date
Hello again!

I've been offered a job that involves working with the SQL databases, T-SQL, and ADO.NET as well as ASP.NET, working with XML and XTML, LINQ using C++/C#. Should I accept? I know them all. Have 2+ years experience (not working at job, at university level). Job itself seems normal but what I'm concerned is that, are the above programming constructs helpful for quant career in future? SQL is important as I know for quant developers. Any idea?

Thank you

It's a (relatively) small company in Georgia, so no. :rolleyes:
HOWEVER, what matters more is your role in the job, and the skillset you acquire/demonstrate seems quite good.
Note however that C++ is infinitely more important than C#; I like C# as much as everyone else, but do know that it is a Microsoft version of Java...

EDIT: Oh! One more thing. Make sure you're caught up with the new .NET (I did some dev work this summer, when our firm got the update and there's a ton of new stuff)

@euroazn

Thanks euroazn. I also like C# more than any other as it's simpler than C++ and allows me to concentrate on math-finance while studding rather than devote myself to pure programming. I have said many times and I'll repeat why I chose C# over C++ (But only temporarily because I'll definitely return to C++ later)

I'm working on one derivatives program that involves much interaction with web pages, and I've strongly been suggested by Paul Deitel to switch to C# if I wanted web-based programming. He also said that in their C++ books, they omit chapters concerning web-programming since C++ is not a perfect language to do web-based applications.

That was the main reason why I chose so. After completing the studies of C#, I'll go back to C++ and learn it fully.

Best

@euroazn

I also like C# more than any other as it's simpler than C++

QUICK DELETE YOUR POST BEFORE DOMINIC GETS IN HERE. lol.
But that's basically exactly why you should use C++
wink.png

@euroazn @DominiConnor

"QUICK DELETE YOUR POST BEFORE DOMINIC GETS IN HERE. lol."

:) I know. I'm going to start C++ on parallel. I'm a fast learner so I won't have any trouble doing 2 related jobs. Could you recommend a good book for C++?
Mr Dominic might advice on something. Thanks

@euroazn

I've been studding C++ for one full year at university. So I'm quite familiar but need to deepen my knowledge. Basically I need to start it from scratch. As for C#, I have quite a deep understanding. As far as the algos are concerned, I have defined statistical distributions and linear algebra libraries, as well as optimization. So I'm fine with them.

I have a deep C# knowledge at this moment but since I'm returning to C++ I need to start it from beginning and use it in future. Now, I'm studding the Pro C# and .NET 4 framework book. Which is really excellent and covers all the programming issues. Mainly I need a book which will cover a desktop applications part as well as others. Because when learning at university, we just covered things at console apps, so I'm not familiar with integrated environment of C++.

As far as the algos are concerned, I have defined statistical distributions and linear algebra libraries, as well as optimization. So I'm fine with them.
Not what I meant. I'm talking about stuff like Knuth. Are you familiar with his textbooks? If not... definitely a classic you should understand. Not that you'll apply it directly per-se but at least useful in interviews.

As for console aps vs. other stuff - that's mostly a .NET thing and not a C++ issue directly. When people say, "hey you, do you know how to program in C++", they don't mean if you know the C++ .NET libs, they mean "Can you look at pointers, and not be scared?" (Well, it's more than that obviously...)

@euroazn
No I'm not familiar with Knuth. I understand now what you meant.

BTW, I need to learn the C++ in general like a programming language, and I have no trouble or any harm translating math into programming codes. I mean, I'm studding programming at the programming side and that's why I'm seeking the book covering all the programming constructs. Thanks again

Back