• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The current state and prospects of quant career

Hello,
I've met an opinion that quantitative analysis is increasingly routine IT-work to maintain the ready-made models and this professions becoming less marketable.
Do you agree with this opinion?

I'm seriously thinking of becoming a quant and your answers are very important to me.
What type of quantitative analysis (risk management, trading, derivatives, investment, consulting, etc.) you find more promising?
Besides quantitative analysis, what job can a person get with MFE (Master of Financial Engineering)?
Have you seen changes in demand for quants?

Although not an expert but I have tried to give you my views on this.

I've met an opinion that quantitative analysis is increasingly routine IT-work to maintain the ready-made models and this professions becoming less marketable. [SJ] There is evolution of new risk models, passive investment, algo treading models, dark pools, Quanet ETFs so the job still is heavy on IT.

I'm seriously thinking of becoming a quant and your answers are very important to me.
What type of quantitative analysis (risk management, trading, derivatives, investment, consulting, etc.) you find more promising? [SJ] Heavy stat then risk/derv, heavy programming then Algo trading, medium of both then investment, poor in both but good in management: consulting....

Besides quantitative analysis, what job can a person get with MFE (Master of Financial Engineering)? [SJ] None.

Have you seen changes in demand for quants? [SJ] Demand is v less.

Back