• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thesis on estimating VaR with copulas

I am on my last year of bachelor program and I am about to start writing my thesis, which I guess will be somehow related to copulas and VaR. Last year I wrote a term paper with my instructor about estimating VaR of a 2-stock portfolio with copulas and compared the results to those obtained by historical simulation and parametric approach. I've already had a conversation with my tutor and we both agreed that my thesis will be based on my term paper. However, as there are really a lot of papers on estimation of the portfolio VaR with copulas, my instructor told me to find some acute issue or problem that has not been touched upon before. My tutor also offered me to write about the economic capital of the bank and the use of copulas in this field. Anyway, everything remains rather vague, so I am really looking for some interesting ideas on copulas, portfolio VaR, etc.

Back