• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Tips for those who often fail to open QuantNet

I am posting this thread to share the experience of how I lost and regained connection with QuantNet. Actually this is not unusual in China due to some blocking. For those who often fail to open QN, I hope that my experience and solution may help you.

Before talking about that I shall first thank Andy Nguyen for his keen help over this issue via email, otherwise I may still at lost and not able to post a single thread here. @Andy Nguyen

The first step I took is asking the network administrator of my university for help. This is helpful as the problem might be simply due to some maintenance or server upkeep of the university network, although this is not my case.

Then make sure the IP is not manipulated by some softwares. Following Andy's guide I checked my IP using https://www.whatismyip.com/ and found it all correct. Actually this site will tell you to which region your IP belongs.

At that point I began to wonder if this issue is due to some blocking. Sites blocked in China are listed in http://www.blockedinchina.net/ and fortunately QN is not one of them. I'm not sure whether that page includes all such sites or only part of them, nor am I certain whether the levels of blocking over China are all the same.

So I have to use VPN to continue this course and after trying a dozen of VPNs, I found Lantern the most effective. One can get it in Lantern - Open Internet for Everyone for free. Shadowsocks is an alternative but it failed after I use it for QN several times. If you use shadowsocks remember to change the password every 6 hours and the latest password can be found in iShadowsocks - 免费shadowsocks帐号和使用教程. Lantern is much easier and doesn't need password.

That's how I come back here and hope it is helpful. Wish you all can finish the course and get improved in C++!

Back