• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Top MFE Chances

I am currently a finance and accounting double major with math minor at an average state school with a 3.7 GPA. I am a rising Senior and I will be interning at an Investment Bank in their M&A division this Summer.

I haven't taken GRE yet but suppose I am able to score a 167+ on the quant section, what are my chances like to being accepted into one of the top 10 MFE programs listed on this forum? If they are quite low with my current profile, should I target more relevant work experience? Or are there other avenues I can pursue to increase my chances?

A couple of things to consider:
Do you have programming experience?
Has your math minor included all of the necessary prerequisites? (multivariable calc, probability, linear algebra, etc.)

A couple of things to consider:
Do you have programming experience?
Has your math minor included all of the necessary prerequisites? (multivariable calc, probability, linear algebra, etc.)
I have some basic experience in python, but I am currently enrolled in an intro programming course for the Fall and plan to take the follow up course in the Spring. My minor will cover all the necessary prereqs as well as some courses in optimization and differential equations.

I have some basic experience in python, but I am currently enrolled in an intro programming course for the Fall and plan to take the follow up course in the Spring. My minor will cover all the necessary prereqs as well as some courses in optimization and differential equations.
Ok good. I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt but your profile seems strong as long as your math GPA is around the same as your cumulative GPA. Some C++ experience (e.g quantnet's course) could be helpful so I'd recommend that you look into it

Each program has own preference when selecting candidates. for example, cmu cares about programming much, professional experience matters a lot for ucb, gre/GPA is important for Columbia...

3.7 is a little bit below the average, but probably won't be a huge issue if you are in a province university. Also, try to have your gre score ASAP, don't leave it to the summer or even fall, you will have many other things to do at that time.

Question is, maybe you need to check whether your interns and programs are relevant enough for mfe.

Each program has own preference when selecting candidates. for example, cmu cares about programming much, professional experience matters a lot for ucb, gre/GPA is important for Columbia...

3.7 is a little bit below the average, but probably won't be a huge issue if you are in a province university. Also, try to have your gre score ASAP, don't leave it to the summer or even fall, you will have many other things to do at that time.
3.7 isn't that low, maybe for some programs but honestly it is fine. Maybe 0.05 off... but it definitely won't raise any eyebrows. I think anything at that range, unless it is really deficient or incredibly high, is mostly a non-factor. Everything in-between is probably given the eye test and then ignored.
Your GPA in quantitative (math/Csci) courses are what is really looked at.

I agree with Luke. I'm not totally sure how a minor managed to cover CalcI-III, linear algebra, 1-2 semesters of calulus based probability, AND (plural) courses in optimization and differential equations, but you should be happy it did. That is pretty much everything you need. You don't have the flashy stuff, but you've got enough, your profile should be strong given you get your coding up to a decent spot.

Back