• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trading vs Dev

Hello,

I am a 2nd year university student at a top public university in the United States trying to get into quant, and from my understanding I am currently on a better track for dev (which I do think is better suited to my interests), but it seems that there’s a lot of overlap between what a “dev” and “trader” might do in certain firms, and I’m looking for a little more clarification on what these differences are, as well as what roles I am better suited for.

My general profile is this: BS in Computer Science, focused on algorithms and ML, Minor in Mathematics (Classes: multivariable, diffeq, linear, intro to probability, math of finance[covers stochastic, Black-Scholes, etc.]), BBA focused in tech/finance. GPA will end somewhere from 3.5-3.7. I also have some decent personal projects, and founded a quant project-team club in my first year.

So I have 3 general questions about this:
1. What type of roles should I expect to be attainable at what times considering my profile? Would a masters in CS, DS, or MFE be necessary or is it possible that I could get an offer upon finishing undergrad?
2. What differences would there be for me if I targeted dev vs trading? Id like to make a decision on what’s a better fit for me so I can cater my projects and self-studying to that.
3. At what points in my current qualifications am I lacking? What can I do to try to help myself stand out a bit more in applications?

Any advice is much appreciated, just looking for whatever guidance I can get.

Hey Andy,

Very helpful read, it cleared up a lot for me, but I still have a few questions. The p-measure and trading/market microstructure area seems the most interesting to me. Is there a trend in the way that roles in this area tend to be organized? What math would be best to study specifically for this area? I’m generally interested in the most software oriented side of things so I just want to make sure I pick an area where the programmer in me is fulfilled.

Hello,

I am a 2nd year university student at a top public university in the United States trying to get into quant, and from my understanding I am currently on a better track for dev (which I do think is better suited to my interests), but it seems that there’s a lot of overlap between what a “dev” and “trader” might do in certain firms, and I’m looking for a little more clarification on what these differences are, as well as what roles I am better suited for.

My general profile is this: BS in Computer Science, focused on algorithms and ML, Minor in Mathematics (Classes: multivariable, diffeq, linear, intro to probability, math of finance[covers stochastic, Black-Scholes, etc.]), BBA focused in tech/finance. GPA will end somewhere from 3.5-3.7. I also have some decent personal projects, and founded a quant project-team club in my first year.

So I have 3 general questions about this:
1. What type of roles should I expect to be attainable at what times considering my profile? Would a masters in CS, DS, or MFE be necessary or is it possible that I could get an offer upon finishing undergrad?
2. What differences would there be for me if I targeted dev vs trading? Id like to make a decision on what’s a better fit for me so I can cater my projects and self-studying to that.
3. At what points in my current qualifications am I lacking? What can I do to try to help myself stand out a bit more in applications?

Any advice is much appreciated, just looking for whatever guidance I can get.
C++

Back