• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
University of California, Berkeley - Master of Financial Engineering

UCB MFE UCB MFE Admission Results Discussion

Just giving an update that I got an admissions offer after being waitlisted. Good luck to all!
Congratulations! A quick question, were you placed in waitlist, asked to complete some courses and had your interview pending?

The interview was purely technical. They ask questions from Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probs & Stats, ML, C++, finance etc. They will also see what you have on your resume and ask questions on that.
Hi, I have an interview scheduled in the next couple of days. Could you recommend some resources you used to prepare for the technical portion?

Hi, I have an interview scheduled in the next couple of days. Could you recommend some resources you used to prepare for the technical portion?
All the above mentioned concepts can be found in a typical Quant Finance interview prep book mentioned in the thread below:

I used the Zhou (a.k.a. the green book) btw.
Good luck. :)

Last edited:
All the above mentioned concepts can be found in a typical Quant Finance interview prep book mentioned in the thread below:

I used the Zhou (a.k.a. the green book) btw.
Good luck. :)
I've been going through the green book, but its just puzzles. So I was confused as to what extent (depth) I should know each topic. Did you get into UCB btw? If yes, I'd love to know how you tailored your interview prep to your resume

not sure how much you can do in only a couple of days but here's a broad outline of topics to prepare:

math
- linear algebra
- prob
- calculus

statistics + ml

finance

programming
(python, c++, or whichever language you have experience in)

resume

i'd say projects on your resume should be of highest priority, if you can't answer questions about what's on your resume, you're unlikely to get selected

the next most important topics would be probability and statistics (this is where the green book will come in handy — it's just puzzles??? by that token all math is just puzzles!), then, based on how/what you answer, they can riff off on topics such as ml, related linear algebra or calculus

you will definitely get a question on programming, not super complicated but they will try and gauge if you have decent experience in coding (they're language-agnostic, at least in the interviews, but you'll have to learn python if you get admitted)

and then of least importance would be finance — they'll want to know if you have basic knowledge of, or interest in, the markets, they might also ask simple questions on options — black scholes, greeks and the like

I applied in the third round and had my interview pretty soon after applying. I prepped a lot for Math, Stats, Prob and logic puzzles, but since I have a PhD in a quantitative field, the interviewer just skipped all of the math and problem solving related questions except for asking me to compute a pretty simple derivative.

I don't have a background in Finance or Programming, so my interview questions focused mainly on those topics. There was a lot I didn't know, so I ended up getting wait-listed with a bunch of pre-reqs related to finance, machine learning and programming.

The interview seems to be two things:
1. Weed out people who really aren't fit for the program (i.e. they may assess your aptitude in problem solving and mathematics).
2. Really gauge where you're at and what would best help you prepare to succeed (if you were eventually to be offered admission).

For those applying in Round 4, this may be helpful to understand that each interview is different and really is tailored to the individual.

not sure how much you can do in only a couple of days but here's a broad outline of topics to prepare:

math
- linear algebra
- prob
- calculus

statistics + ml

finance

programming
(python, c++, or whichever language you have experience in)

resume

i'd say projects on your resume should be of highest priority, if you can't answer questions about what's on your resume, you're unlikely to get selected

the next most important topics would be probability and statistics (this is where the green book will come in handy — it's just puzzles??? by that token all math is just puzzles!), then, based on how/what you answer, they can riff off on topics such as ml, related linear algebra or calculus

you will definitely get a question on programming, not super complicated but they will try and gauge if you have decent experience in coding (they're language-agnostic, at least in the interviews, but you'll have to learn python if you get admitted)

and then of least importance would be finance — they'll want to know if you have basic knowledge of, or interest in, the markets, they might also ask simple questions on options — black scholes, greeks and the like
Thank you!

Hi, does anybody know whether the interview is mandatory in order to get admitted? I would appreciate it if those who got waitlisted will be invited to the interview afterwards. Thank you.

I applied for Round 3 for Spring 2022 and did one interview a week ago. I received a status update today with the following message:

"The admissions committee was impressed by your application and has decided to offer you a place on our waitlist for Spring 2022 term to the Berkeley Haas Master of Financial Engineering (MFE) Program.

Some applicants on the waitlist may receive an update to their admission status as early as one month after being placed on the waitlist. Others may not have a final decision until our application cycle closes.

Please note that we typically reserve spots every year for candidates who are placed on the waiting list. In an effort to enhance your chances of admission to the Berkeley MFE Program at this time, we strongly encourage you to start completing a series of items, herein referred to as “preparation”. You will find this tailored list of preparation items and their respective deadlines listed under "Preparation Checklist" when you log into your online application account. The Admissions Committee will review your file regularly to track your progress."

Does anybody know the chance of admission, given that I am willing to complete most of the "preparation"? It says they were impressed by my application and yet I was placed on the waitlist.

I applied for Round 3 for Spring 2022 and did one interview a week ago. I received a status update today with the following message:

"The admissions committee was impressed by your application and has decided to offer you a place on our waitlist for Spring 2022 term to the Berkeley Haas Master of Financial Engineering (MFE) Program.

Some applicants on the waitlist may receive an update to their admission status as early as one month after being placed on the waitlist. Others may not have a final decision until our application cycle closes.

Please note that we typically reserve spots every year for candidates who are placed on the waiting list. In an effort to enhance your chances of admission to the Berkeley MFE Program at this time, we strongly encourage you to start completing a series of items, herein referred to as “preparation”. You will find this tailored list of preparation items and their respective deadlines listed under "Preparation Checklist" when you log into your online application account. The Admissions Committee will review your file regularly to track your progress."

Does anybody know the chance of admission, given that I am willing to complete most of the "preparation"? It says they were impressed by my application and yet I was placed on the waitlist.
Hey… what happened finally on this if you can update?

I received exact the same email on the waitlist and they listed a bunch of courses for me. They even need me to do the pre-program courses. I'd love to know how you deal with it?

I received exact the same email on the waitlist and they listed a bunch of courses for me. They even need me to do the pre-program courses. I'd love to know how you deal with it?
@ciciyang when did you submit your application? And how many days after submission did you receive the interview invite?

Hi PDquant,
I am in the exactly same position as you but in Round 4. I didn't get an interview and was placed on Waitlist. I wonder did you get any update from them as you complete their preparation list?

Back