• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE vs. Uchicago Finmath

Hi guys,

I want to ask for your advice/suggestions/thoughts to choose between 2 programs.
I got admitted to UCB MFE (details of prerequisites not posted yet) vs. Uchicago Finmath (with 70% tuition waive). I have paid 3000 deposit to Uchicago to secure the spot as i received UCB MFE later than Uchicago deadline (i asked the school to extend for me already).
The concerns i have is:
1) i prefer Uchicago curriculum better than UCB MFE which is more theoretical/quantitative
2) i know UCB job placement is better than Uchicago and I have very clear plan to go back to buy side ( I have quite long work expereinces working as execution trader at buy side, so have quite strong network already, but want to come back to buy side as quant pm instead of trading).

The major conflict/trade off is between curriculum vs. job placement.
The minor trade off is that Uchicago would be cheaper for me and UCB starts later (next Spring so I have longer time to wait for my promotion at my current job - hopefully this year to VP)
if you have any suggestion or gut feels for me - would really appreciate for your help!!

70% waive is very attractive. They give you this because you are strong. And I think, a candidate can get a good job at the buy side not because the program is strong, but the candidate himself is strong. Let me say that the UCB program is good and it's a ticket to the buy side firms (most mfe programs are tickets to sell side) , and that's probably why their placement is better. But it seems that you have been already in this market for some time, therefore I don't think you need the ticket anymore. What you need is the skills and resources because your ultimate is goal is to get the jobs you want. Just my 2 cents

70% waive is very attractive. They give you this because you are strong. And I think, a candidate can get a good job at the buy side not because the program is strong, but the candidate himself is strong. Let me say that the UCB program is good and it's a ticket to the buy side firms (most mfe programs are tickets to sell side) , and that's probably why their placement is better. But it seems that you have been already in this market for some time, therefore I don't think you need the ticket anymore. What you need is the skills and resources because your ultimate is goal is to get the jobs you want. Just my 2 cents
Hi Youlan,

Thanks so much for your advice and thoughts - it definitely makes sense to me that skillsets is by the end what you need to get the jobs and function well. I got bit scared and timid cuz it was not a very smooth transition for me to move from trading to PM role (couple internal opportunity but didn't work out due to some logistic reasons, etc.) and that was one of the reasons for me to go back to school (to learn something and rejoin the market). Therefore, I might be quite frustrated to go back as an execution trader again, rather than quant pm. Thanks again for your warm advice.

Hi, did you accept UCB MFE in the end? I was in exactly the same position...trying to move from execution trader to quant PM.

Back