• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Vs UChicago MSFM Vs UCLA MFE

I have been accepted into the following programs. I would highly appreciate any advice on which one would be the best option:

UChicago MSFM (30% scholarship),
UCB MFE (conditional offer - need to complete some pre-req courses before Nov + pre-MFE courses after Nov)
UCLA MFE (scholarship)

In case of UCB, I am confident that I would be able to complete all the pre-reqs given by them. However, I am concerned that if something goes wrong at that time (for example, during the Visa process or if I don't get the final offer even after completing the pre-reqs), I will be left with no choice as the program starts in March.

After my master's, I'd like to work in quantitative research area, but I'm open to other opportunities as well. I wish to work in the United States after the program.

Background: Engineering degree from a top university, and 3 years of experience in the financial industry (finance + a little coding)

Definitely UCB. It's a top one that can secure you a quant job in the US. I think you don't need to worry about the issues you mentioned. If you complete all the prereqs, why would they not give you the offer? And the risk from other things like Visa is equal for all these choices.

I have been accepted into the following programs. I would highly appreciate any advice on which one would be the best option:

UChicago MSFM (30% scholarship)
UCB MFE (conditional offer - need to complete some pre-req courses before Nov + pre-MFE courses after Nov)
UCLA MFE (scholarship)

In case of UCB, I am confident that I would be able to complete all the pre-reqs given by them. However, I am concerned that if something goes wrong at that time (for example, during the Visa process or if I don't get the final offer even after completing the pre-reqs), I will be left with no choice as the program starts in March.

After my master's, I'd like to work in quantitative research area, but I'm open to other opportunities as well. I wish to work in the United States after the program.

Background: Engineering degree from a top university, and 3 years of experience in the financial industry (finance + a little coding)
I used to think I could go to a competing program (read top 10) and still do well enough. I didn't think the Berkeley program was as good as everyone made it out to be. Boy, was I wrong.
Hands down the one of the best career services you'll find in an MFE program. The class is incredibly competitive; the professors are amazing and there is a nice mix of companies that recruit from here. Quant research, data science and machine learning, crypto; you'll find a good fit with a company no matter how diverse your interests.
Even with no financial aid, I think you should choose the Berkeley MFE as it's going to provide the best opportunities career-wise.
It's a long-term investment to be part of an incredible university and a very smart group of MFE alumni.

Visa won't be an issue, just complete the prerequisites and you should be fine :)

I used to think I could go to a competing program (read top 10) and still do well enough. I didn't think the Berkeley program was as good as everyone made it out to be. Boy, was I wrong.
Hands down the one of the best career services you'll find in an MFE program. The class is incredibly competitive; the professors are amazing and there is a nice mix of companies that recruit from here. Quant research, data science and machine learning, crypto; you'll find a good fit with a company no matter how diverse your interests.
Even with no financial aid, I think you should choose the Berkeley MFE as it's going to provide the best opportunities career-wise.
It's a long-term investment to be part of an incredible university and a very smart group of MFE alumni.

Visa won't be an issue, just complete the prerequisites and you should be fine :)
completely agree with this; i was actually very seriously considering a couple of other programs too (top 5 according to quantnet) because of things like location and scholarships but i can very confidently say i'm glad i chose berkeley mfe

Back