• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Univertsity of Miami (Miami,FL) MSMF any good? Help pls.

Hey guys, new to quantnet.

Quick Background. I've been working in the financial markets since 2012, then had a 2 year gap from 2015-2017 where i started a company. Now i'm back to the financial sector starting a hedge fund with some friends, working more on the structuring.

I have extensive and practical knowledge of the financial markets, having been through various sectors. From trading desk to private equity analysis. Been trading for myself on and off for the last 10 years. Rusty programming, but will begin re immersion (looking at Baruch's pre-MFE online courses).

I've been involved in quantitative trading since my first internship, helped out a quant with basic back-office stuff and order execution and simple stuff. I like trading a lot, but i feel that old school trading is a bit outdated, since we now can test out strategies that actually work before investing time and money on them.

So i'm looking for places online to introduce myself and immerse in quantitative analysis and trading, to get a real good start at it.

And also, am looking to join a Masters program in the next 2 years. I will be living in Florida, since that's where my hedge fund and wealth management will be, and after superficial research i've found that the closest and most feasible place to study would be University of Miami, in south Miami.

Is it worth the money? I've seen some bad reviews, bit old though (2015). Is it really not even worth it or is it worth the investment?

Thanks in advance

Is it worth the money? I've seen some bad reviews, bit old though (2015). Is it really not even worth it or is it worth the investment?

"Worth the investment" in what sense? You are apparently not looking for a job subsequent to your MFE so what criteria are you using?

"Worth the investment" in what sense? You are apparently not looking for a job subsequent to your MFE so what criteria are you using?

Hey bigbadwolf, thanks for the response.

Worth the investment in the sense that it will give me tools i need to be a great Quantitative Analyst/Trader. Will it be possible to apply this knowledge to the hedge fund, or is it to simple and introductory?

Also, although i'm not currently looking for a job, it's never a good thing to rule out this possibility.

So, to pay 50k + 1 year and 1/2 of my life to have neither a good understanding of quantitative analysis nor a good diploma in case i need to find a job, is a waster of time and money.

Also, do you have any recommendations as to where i can find online introductory courses and alike?

Thanks!!

Worth the investment in the sense that it will give me tools i need to be a great Quantitative Analyst/Trader. Will it be possible to apply this knowledge to the hedge fund, or is it to simple and introductory?

Going by what's on their website, I don't think so. The courses seem to be basic stats and basic stochastic. I don't see any heavy coding, nor any advanced courses.

Also, although i'm not currently looking for a job, it's never a good thing to rule out this possibility.

I don't think it will be any good for that either. Judging by what's given on the site, it doesn't seem to be much of a program.

Also, do you have any recommendations as to where i can find online introductory courses and alike?

Pick up some of the better books and work your way slowly through them.

Going by what's on their website, I don't think so. The courses seem to be basic stats and basic stochastic. I don't see any heavy coding, nor any advanced courses.

I don't think it will be any good for that either. Judging by what's given on the site, it doesn't seem to be much of a program.

Pick up some of the better books and work your way slowly through them.

Thank you very much! I thought the MSMF was doubtful, but had to ask. Some of the classes they have, i've had in my undergrad. But you never know, eh?

I've seen some posts around about the best books, i'll be sure to start by them.

Thanks for your time!

Back