Value of Hedge Fund on CV?

Background: Front office Strat with ~4Y experience at a BB bank

I recently received a HF offer, but have come to realise my true interest lies in QT, and that I probably want to do a masters to maximise my chances (been applying directly but getting harder with my experience and firms' new grad preference). So I had 2 questions:
  • Assuming I start a Masters in Sep-2025, is it still worth throwing myself into something more intense & non long-term, just for the learning experience & CV boost (if any)?​
  • Will getting a Masters even really "refresh" my new grad status when it comes to QT recruiting? Or does it not really make a difference?

Not sure, but I'd probably take the HF offer if it's a good step up. Getting into QT, especially after several years of work experience, is very hard. Taking the offer depends on your timeline for masters. Leaving too quick obviously doesn't look good.

Mainly bump for exposure.

Not sure, but I'd probably take the HF offer if it's a good step up. Getting into QT, especially after several years of work experience, is very hard. Taking the offer depends on your timeline for masters. Leaving too quick obviously doesn't look good.

Mainly bump for exposure.
Thanks - would you say getting in would still be particularly difficult after returning to masters?

Timeline is tricky indeed - I would be leaving in under a year to do the masters, which I guess looks very bad? Is that something QT firms even look at?

Back