• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE VBA/Python/SQL Baruch MFE certificate programs

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
As part of its Baruch Pre-MFE Program, and alongside the C++ Programming for Financial Engineering Certificate and the Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications, the Baruch MFE Program is now offering VBA/Python/SQL Online Certificates.

A joint project of the Baruch MFE Program and Mark Ross, Baruch MFE instructor, the courses are delivered entirely online by ScriptUni and are part of the Pre-MFE Program.

A teaching assistant is provided to each student, and the Baruch MFE Program grants a Certificate of Completion upon successfully completing each course.

Audience: These certificates are designed for people interested in pursuing graduate studies in financial engineering. With an emphasis on financial applications for quantitative finance, these courses are also useful to professionals interested in learning scripting languages in the realm of finance, giving them a leg-up on their competition.

VBA for Financial Engineering

Course Topics:

• Excel Functions: Worksheet functions, compounding, interest rates, discount factors, bond pricing in Excel, Offset, pivot tables
  • VBA Syntax: Subs/functions, variables, vectors, loops, conditional statements, cells vs range, bond pricing in VBA, linear interpolation, forward rates
  • Option Pricing in VBA: Option payoff model, Binomial Asset Pricing Model, Black Scholes
  • Classes: Data types, classes, portfolio analysis, value at risk
  • Data Structuring: Formatting/graphing in VBA, file manipulation, userforms, pivot tables in VBA, SQL in VBA, extracting market data using SQL
The Course Syllabus and a Sample Course Video can be found here.

Tuition: $750

Practical Python with Applications in Finance

Course Topics:

• Python Syntax 101: Variables, lists, loops, functions, sets, dictionaries, packages
  • Intermediate Python: Object-oriented programming, advanced functions, generators, exception handling, context managers
  • Advanced Python Syntax: I/O, string manipulation, date/time, decorators
  • Monte Carlo in Python: Random number generators, concurrency
  • Asset-Backed Securities: Numerical packages, pricing ABS in Python
The Course Syllabus and a Sample Course Video can be found here

Tuition: $750

SQL for Finance

Course Topics:

• Basic Queries: Select, filters, multiple filters, top, aliases
  • Writing Data: Delete, updating data, adding data
  • Joins: inner joins, left/right joins, full outer joins
  • Unions: union, union, all, full outer join workaround
The Course Syllabus and a Sample Course Video can be found here

Tuition: $275

I already enrolled in these three programs because there is a package discount, but I notice it might be little hush for me because i have to finish all three by 8 weeks i means each one by less than 3 weeks. Is there any time extension in this case. I think 1 or 2 more weeks will means much more flexible to me. @APalley

Hi Kefan,

This is a common question so we are adding a FAQs page sometime this week which will address this as well as other common questions.

Here is the FAQ response to this:

"If you purchase the VBA/Python/SQL package you will receive an email from customer support asking you in which order you plan on taking the courses and the course timers will be set respectively. As you finish each course, the timer will begin for the next course you have selected."

So given the 8 weeks for VBA, 8 weeks for Python, and 4 weeks for SQL, you will have a total of 20 weeks to complete the courses.

I saw the sample video for the Python class and it mentions getters and setters. That's really bad Python style. It sounds as if the class was teaching to program in Python like Java or C++. Are you guys going to update that and teach Python in a "pythonic" way?

Hi Kefan,

This is a common question so we are adding a FAQs page sometime this week which will address this as well as other common questions.

Here is the FAQ response to this:

"If you purchase the VBA/Python/SQL package you will receive an email from customer support asking you in which order you plan on taking the courses and the course timers will be set respectively. As you finish each course, the timer will begin for the next course you have selected."

So given the 8 weeks for VBA, 8 weeks for Python, and 4 weeks for SQL, you will have a total of 20 weeks to complete the courses.
that is great! thank you:sneaky:

I saw the sample video for the Python class and it mentions getters and setters. That's really bad Python style. It sounds as if the class was teaching to program in Python like Java or C++. Are you guys going to update that and teach Python in a "pythonic" way?
The sample video mentions property getters/setters; that is, using the @property decorator. The property decorator is the recommended mechanism in Python to get/set attributes of an object, especially if any post-processing/constraint is needed or if one wishes to 'protect' the attribute for whatever reason; it's certainly Pythonic, and appropriate Python style.

Last edited:
Back