• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are the differences in preparation between FO Quant and Risk Managemetn/Analyst Roles?

Finishing Ph.D in computer science. Since I want to work in Quant, I have studied things like derivative pricing, stochastic calculus, interest rate swaps etc. although mostly self taught.

However, many of the job postings (LinkedIn and elsewhere) are also containing keywords like Risk analysis, risk management, stress test etc. So does my background (a lot of programming+mathematical optimisation plus good knowledge of derivative, exotic option related finance concepts) make me somewhat suitable to apply for risk related positions? Are they radically different? Or is there a good way that I can make myself somewhat better suited for them in finite time? Any good reference?

Why not Fintech ? There's a serious need of programmers with good financial acumen there than being holed up in a mediocre stress testing position in some corner of a bank.

Anyways, Network aggresively. Dial & pitch yourself to recruiters in a savvy way and always exaggerate 15% more than your worth if you are competing in American markets. Consider the fact that you will change your job profile in the first 3 months and then you will form enough opinion to know what interests you and fits your marker.

Thanks, I am in Singapore actually and talking to some headhunters in Singapore and Hong Kong. I am open to FinTech as well, although, with my limited knowledge, the umbrella term covers such a broad swathe of expertise and activities, I am not sure where to start looking.

Also, in spite of the knowledge and ideas of how things work (at least so much I can figure out by reading), my lack of experience and knowing faces in the industry as a fresh Ph.D. seems to be a big barrier. People tell me that so long as I am applying via formal channels (be it LinkedIn, or the websites), I do not have a chance. They already know who to hire for the openings posted publicly. But apart from the headhunters and recruiters, there does not seem anything more I can do. I have even thought about just straight away going to the office and asking for jobs, but not sure if that is a bit too much.

There are no certainites only probabilities. By pitching your case to the max no of people you will improve your chances. Read pauldominic interviewing manual. Most of the company HR have a linkendin presence and you can directly speak with them. Target roles where you will encounter min barriers like developer & have a fair shot.

Back