• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are the odds that a philosopher gets into Quantitative Research in a global firm?

What are the odds that a philosopher gets into Quantitative Research in a global firm?

• Around 0~20

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Around 20~40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Around 40~60

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Around 60~80

• Around 80~100

• Total voters
I worked at a local company but wish to work for a worldwide corporation. What is my chance to get in? Could you please point out any errors/problems in my CV?
1672567318816.png

Hmm, what's the probability space? Lewis' possible worlds or Everett's world branches? (Joke).

There's a reasonable chance of finding something. However, I would urge you not to get too caught up in "international brand value". There are plenty of respectable UK firms that will not only pay you well, but also offer you way more creative freedom than you'll get at a multinational.
As a rule of thumb: the bigger the org, the more red tape / politics / niche work you'll find.

For the record, I have a degree in the philosophy of physics from Oxford. Of the firms I've worked for, the place I enjoyed the least was also the biggest (tier 1 investment bank).

Hmm, what's the probability space? Lewis' possible worlds or Everett's world branches? (Joke).
Don't know which one is but I am pretty sure that in one of the Everettian world I am homeless (not joke).
There's a reasonable chance of finding something. However, I would urge you not to get too caught up in "international brand value". There are plenty of respectable UK firms that will not only pay you well, but also offer you way more creative freedom than you'll get at a multinational.
As a rule of thumb: the bigger the org, the more red tape / politics / niche work you'll find.
Thank you for your comment. I definitely agree that any small UK firm is also great. On the other hand I worked on my local company in my hometown ( I am not from the UK) and not sure if it will be a valid exp. in the UK.

For the record, I have a degree in the philosophy of physics from Oxford.
Great! Can we talk on zoom when you are available?
Of the firms I've worked for, the place I enjoyed the least was also the biggest (tier 1 investment bank).
Thank you for sharing your experience as well. I value my freedom over money as well.

Back