• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

what course do I have to take?

Hi
I am currently a student from Washington university in st.louis.
I am rising junior and having hard time in deciding which course I have to take for this fall.

I am thinking to pursue in phd in economics or finance after I graduate.
I heard both of admission offices look for candidates who have taken a lot of math courses.I have two questions to ask you guys. First question is about my major.

I decided to major in both math and econ. However, I am currently majored in system engineering which teaches optimization and control system. Do you guys think that I should stick to system engineering rather than math and econ? Or do I have to switch to econ and math from system engineering to get into top school in ecnomic and finance. Also our school has finance department in undergraduate. Should I switch to finance instead of econ to get into phd in finance?

My second question is about my course plan.

I have taken calculus 2, 3 , differential equation, Matrix Algebra, and Intro to Statistic so far.

I have two options for this fall (junior)

First option is to take
1.probability
2.Foundation for Higher mathematic (prerequisite for real analysis1.)

They are not so hard math courses, and some people might wonder why don't I take real analysis and linear algebra for this fall.
However, the professor for Foundation for higher mathematic is so famous and nice. I want to do well in this course and get good recommendation letter.

My second option is to take
1.Real Analysis 1
2.Linear Algebra

They are pretty hard course and very important for phd in finance or economics. However, the professors for those courses have pretty bad reputation.

I am having really hard time in figuring out which course I have to take for this fall. First option seems to be easier than second option. However, both of them have good and bad. If I choose my first option, I will take real analysis and linear algebra next year when I am senior. I will apply to phd in my senior year and if I don't get into good school I will attend one more semester (ex. junior fall, junior spring, senior fall, senior spring and one more semester after senior, and apply again.)

to summarize....my first option is

Junior fall//////////////////////////////////////////////// Junior spring
Probability////////////////////////////////////////////// Mathmatical statistc
Foundation for higher mathmatic////////////// Calculus for several variables
Econ ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// Game Theory
Computer///////////////////////////////////////////// Econ writing
Computer

Senior fall///////////////////////////////// Senior spring///////////////////////One more semester(fall)
REal Analysis /////////////////////////// Lebresque Integration////////// Complex analysis
Linear Algebra ////////////////////////// Graduate level Econ /////////// Stochastic process
Graduate level Econ////////////////// Modern Algebra /////////////// Econ...Econ...
Computer////////////////////////////////// Econ or Finance////////////////

Second option is....

Junior fall /////////////// Junior spring /////////////// Senior fall ////////////////////// Senior spring
Real Analysis //////// Lebresque Integration ////// Stochastic Process///////// Stochastic Process
Linear Algebra ////// Mathmatical Statistic//////// Complex Analysis ////////// complex analysis 2
Econ //////////////// Game theory ////////////// Graduate level econ///////// computer....
Computer ///////////// Econ writing/computer////// Graduate level econ/////////

Please give me your opinios.
Thank you.

Posting the exact same thread twice will not get you a quicker answer.

I am sorry about duplicative question.
I will be careful next time. Thank you for your advise.

Back