• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What should be included in a statement of purpose ?

roni

Cornell FE
Are there specific points one should include in his/her SoP ?

The thing is that there is so much to write and I don't know what do select. I don't really want to make it longer than 2.5 pages (actually, I think some school require it to be no longer than 2 pages).

So, what should be included in a successful SoP ?

Here is what I included :

* why financial engineering ?
First, I'm coming from a biz school (not very quantitative) and I've been always attracted to math and programming (went to a science high school- field of study was computer science). I also spent time talking about why I chose to pursue a BBA degree. So, this program will integrate everything I want into one field.

In my opinion , this part (which took me a little more than one page) is too banal. I assume a lot of applicants say something similar. Should I still keep it or should I try and think of a different opening.

*Why grad school ?
Well, I think this is a very important part. First, I said because a master's will help me be qualified for the job function I'd like to do, and another undergrad degree won't give me the required set of skills.
I shouldn't say that a master's degree is more marketable ( right? ).

what else can I mention here ?

* Why XYZ school ?
well, I'm pretty set for this part and this part is kind of personal. But how long should this part be.

*what do yo want to do upon graduation ?

I'm pretty good with this part too. But, should I go into details to show my knowledge of the field/ job function or being general is good enough ?

* should I mention somewhere in the middle why I'd make a successful grad student ? and then mention my mathematical/programming skills ? I think this part is not necessary because they have my transcript + resume. What do you say ?

I would appreciate any help.

By the way, i think this thread can be helpful for everyone since we are yet to have a discussion on how to write a SoP (or we have ? :\ )

Thanks very much.

Roni.

Back