• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What should I focus in a consulting internship to apply for MFE

Hi, I am going to apply for MFE programs, but unfortunately, my only internship is a job related to management consulting. I don't know what should I focus on in this internship if I am going to write this in my SOP or ask the manager to write a reference letter for me.

It seems to be no related technical topics in consulting and MFE. What I do in my internship is managing financial data, or you could say pure finance data like asset information, cost, profit and so on. From my point of view, the most the valuable part in my internship might be the training of communication with my clients. And this might be the consulting all about. So how should I structure my SOP to make this experience match the background needed for a MFE program?

The only technical work might be related to EXCEL but no VBA. Is there anything related to this could be written about in my SOP?

Thanks!

Your SOP and recommendation letters need to show the admission committee the following things:

1-You're smart and get things done
2-You are academically qualified for an MFE
3-You can handle the workload of an MFE
4-You'll make the school look good by getting internships / full time offers during your time there.

Typically you would ask an academic (professor, thesis advisor, etc) for a recommendation so that s/he can prove #1 and #2. You would ask someone from a previous job (ex. manager) to prove #3.

#4 is hard--I think a lot of factors play into it but both being smart and personable/presentable (hint hint: take the interview seriously if there is one) go a long way.

Different schools ask for different things in the SOP. The schools I applied to (CMU&Columbia) both asked about #2 and #3.

My advice: have your manager focus on your skill/performance at work and ability to handle the workload. Have a professor write an academically focused recommendation. Answer whatever SOP questions are given to you but fill in the cracks with anything else you want to include (technical skills if you want).

Your SOP and recommendation letters need to show the admission committee the following things:
Hi, Thanks for your kind reply! I wonder whether I should include the skill of communication with the clients. After all, the communication with the clients is the most part of the consulting and I think it is the very important to have a job in the financial industry, especially in the front desk. Could you please give me some advice on this point?
Thanks!

Hi, Thanks for your kind reply! I wonder whether I should include the skill of communication with the clients. After all, the communication with the clients is the most part of the consulting and I think it is the very important to have a job in the financial industry, especially in the front desk. Could you please give me some advice on this point?
Thanks!

By all means put it there. But the focus really should be on your ability to handle the program and your mathematical/technical knowledge and why you should be chosen above other candidates.

What is your background? Feel free to message me with further questions.

Back